The recent rise of TikTok “mug cakes” suggests that simple, easy-to-bake (and even easier to enjoy) desserts have never been more popular! Especially in the upcoming fall and winter months, there’s nothing like wrapping yourself in a blanket with a warm, buttery, fresh-out-of-the-oven treat all to yourself. For anyone with a sweet tooth who can be a little bit impatient, crafting personal pies might seem like a tedious task. But, this go-to recipe is a quick way to impress friends and family — or satisfy your own sweet-treat-craving — in practically no time at all! Put on some seasonal music, light some scented candles and get ready to fall in love at first bite.
(Adapted from 2-Ingredient Apple Pie Cups Recipe)
This recipe yields 8 personal pies (if you’re making a single batch)
Prep time: 10-15 minutes
Cook time: 15-20 minutes
Total time: about 30 minutes
- 1 can (13 ounces) Pillsbury refrigerated flaky cinnamon rolls with buttercream icing
- 2 pears
- 4-5 cups of frozen rhubarb
- 1½ cups brown sugar
- 1 pomegranate (optional, for topping)
- Cinnamon (optional, for topping)
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Spray muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Set icing aside and separate cinnamon roll dough into 8 rolls.
- Place each roll into the bottom of each individual cup in the muffin tin, and press the dough up the sides of the cup so it resembles a pie crust.
- Optional: Cut pomegranate, collect the seeds in a cup and save for toppings.
Making the filling:
- Coarsely chop both pears, and pour into a pan.
- Add frozen rhubarb into the pan and simmer over low to medium heat for 15 minutes (or until very soft), stirring regularly.
- Add about 1½ cups of brown sugar (sweeten to personal taste).
Cooking and preparation:
- Place 2 heaping tablespoons of filling into each mini pie crust (making sure that the dough hasn’t slid down the sides of the cup).
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let fully cool for about 5 minutes before removing pies from the tin.
- Drizzle the pies with buttercream icing (included with cinnamon roll dough).
- Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and a dash of cinnamon if desired.
- Extra tip: Save and refrigerate/freeze extra filling to spice up your oatmeal, yogurt parfaits or ice cream!
While I tried out these miniature pies with pear and rhubarb, they’re so easily customizable that you can try any filling or topping that catches your eye. You can even use pre-made filling, with only a few changes to the preparation process (make sure to share your own twists on Instagram by tagging @ucsbonthemenu)! Enjoy them hot out of the oven or chilled for equally delectable results, at home or on the go. No matter which one you choose, these personal pies are guaranteed to be a crowd-pleaser and make you smile with every flaky, delicious bite.