“Superfoods” such as kale, chia seeds and almond butter are all known for being healthy, trendy ingredients. However, did you know that the vitamins and antioxidants in superfoods can likely be found in your everyday snacks? Here are 10 food items that are healthier than you may have thought.

Hannah Li / Daily Nexus

Matcha 

This emerald-green powder is made by grinding up young green tea leaves, which contain high levels of chlorophyll. Research has found that matcha is also rich in catechin, a powerful cancer-fighting antioxidant.

Hannah Li / Daily Nexus

Blueberries

Blueberries get their vibrant blue color from anthocyanin, a plant compound that has been shown to reduce the risk of developing cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes. 

Hannah Li / Daily Nexus

Dark Chocolate

Not only is dark chocolate a perfect sweet treat, but it’s also choc(k) full of flavanal, a plant chemical that has been shown to help reduce hypertension (high blood pressure). Be sure to get chocolate with at least 70% cocoa to reap all its health benefits! 

Hannah Li / Daily Nexus

Honey 

Honey has created quite a buzz amongst scientists, who have recognized its amazing antibacterial properties. Eating honey, especially darker types like manuka honey, has been proven to help soothe sore throats and prevent peptic ulcers.

Lulu Octeau / Daily Nexus

Kimchi 

This fermented veggie side dish is a staple in many Korean households, and for good reason. Kimchi is full of lactobacilli, a gut-friendly bacteria that aids in digestion and boosts your body’s immune system.

Lulu Octeau / Daily Nexus

Avocado

Not only do you see avocados everywhere, but they also help you see. The trendy fruit contains the chemicals lutein and zeaxanthin which help strengthen the tissue in the eyes. 

Emily Liu / Daily Nexus

Lemons

Lemons can be easily incorporated into your diet. Research shows that eating citrus daily reduces blood cholesterol levels and chances of heart disease.

Katya Kiseleva / Daily Nexus

Garlic

Despite its pungent smell, garlic has been a staple in many dishes for years. Garlic is shown to reduce exercise-induced fatigue, and help overall with exercise performance. 

Katya Kiseleva / Daily Nexus

Frozen vegetables

Contrary to popular belief, frozen vegetables retain many of their vital nutrients. In fact, frozen vegetables are harvested when they are most ripe, which is also when they are most nutrient-packed. 

Emily Liu / Daily Nexus

Wine

Drinking wine in moderation — red wine, in particular — has shown to have a positive link with a healthy heart. Needless to say, drinking too much wine can have adverse effects, so don’t make any pour decisions.

Michelle Lee
Michelle Lee (she/her/hers) is one of the Co-Editors for On the Menu for the 2021-2022 school year. She is an avid sourdough bread enthusiast and loves a good tote bag.