As we reach the middle of summer, temperatures are back up in the 100s for many of us (I’m looking at you, SoCal!). This watermelon cooler recipe is not only quick and easy to make, but it’s an absolutely perfect way to cool off in this hot weather. Watermelon is my favorite summer fruit, and I was so excited when I found this recipe. I’ve always loved refreshing myself with some blended watermelon, but this special twist makes the drink even better. 

Michelle Wan / Daily Nexus

Ingredients:

• 1 watermelon
  • 2-4 lemons (depending on the size of the watermelon)
  • Sugar (optional, to taste)
  • Seltzer water (optional)

Directions:

1. Cut the watermelon into pieces that are blendable and blend to make watermelon puree.
  2. (Optional) Strain the watermelon puree through a fine-mesh strainer to get rid of the pulp so only pure juice remains.
  3. Squeeze the lemons into the juice. (The lemon juice can also go through a fine-mesh strainer if you don’t want lemon pulp and it easily gets rid of those pesky seeds!)
  4. Add some sugar to your own liking.
  5. Serve with (seltzer water and) ice. 
  6. Enjoy!

The amount of lemon juice needed for this recipe depends on the size of the watermelon. In my opinion, a large watermelon would require about four lemons while a medium-sized one requires about two lemons. However, it would be in your best interest to add two lemons first and then add more if needed. I didn’t add any sugar because the watermelon was already sweet enough, but feel free to add sugar after the first taste if you are craving something sweeter. The seltzer water is a great addition to the recipe, but if you don’t have any at home, it’s not a problem; it still tastes amazing without it! 

As you can see, this recipe is very flexible and you can’t go wrong with it. Make sure to try out this recipe and feel free to customize it any way you wish. Enjoy and stay cool!

(adapted from Costco.com)