In an attempt to combat the recent surge of coronavirus cases and hospitalizations, California Governor Gavin Newsom issued a statewide order on Monday mandating the closure of movie theaters, family entertainment centers, museums and cardrooms, among other indoor operations.

A Santa Barbara-specific order with more details and direction will be released on July 14, according to a press release from the Santa Barbara County Public Health Department. 

On July 1, Newsom ordered the closure of indoor operations, but encouraged businesses to move their operations outside to help reduce the risk of transmitting the virus.

Monday’s statewide order mandates the closure of dine-in restaurants, wineries and tasting rooms, movie theaters and family entertainment centers such as bowling alleys and miniature golf, along with zoos, museums and cardrooms.

According to the new order, bars, brewpubs, breweries and pubs must close as well. However, they can remain open on the condition that they offer sit-down, outdoor dine-in meals.

Businesses including fitness centers, offices for non-essential businesses, personal care services such as nail salons, body waxing and tattoo parlors, as well as hair salons, barber shops and malls are all required to close as well. Worship services are also included on the list of closures. These services can remain open if they are able to operate outside or provide pick-up services.

Statewide coronavirus cases have spiked with 109,910 new cases in the last 14 days, including 1,408 new cases in Santa Barbara County. Counties that have been on the County Monitoring List for three consecutive days are required to follow the order, which includes neighboring Ventura county.

There are currently 4 active cases in Isla Vista, out of a total of 28 cases reported since the first was confirmed on March 30.

Arturo Martinez Rivera
Arturo Martinez Rivera is an asst. news editor at the Daily Nexus. He can be reached at arturo@dailynexus.com or news@dailynexus.com.