Okay, I know what you’re thinking. Salad? For breakfast? Yes, trust me on this one. Not only does this breakfast salad look and taste amazing, it’s the perfect way to start off your day on a healthy foot. It’s chock-full of healthy greens and proteins, and the capers give it a nice salty twist. The proportions of ingredients in this salad are entirely up to you — use as much or as little of anything as you please!
- Olive oil
- Feta cheese
- Trader Joe’s Everything-But-The-Bagel seasoning (optional)
- Poppy and sesame seeds (optional)
- Smoked Alaskan salmon
- Eggs (however many you want!)
- Dress your arugula. In a mixing bowl, toss arugula, a pinch of salt and a dash of olive oil until arugula is lightly coated.
- Poach your eggs. Bring a pot of water to a simmer, and crack an egg into a small bowl. With a big spoon, stir the water until you have a little whirlpool going, then slowly drop your egg into the center of the whirlpool (this will keep most of your egg whites together). Let simmer for about 4 minutes, then remove the egg from the pot with a slotted spoon.
- Assemble your salad! Top the dressed arugula with smoked salmon, a small handful of capers, crumbled feta and your poached egg.
- Top it off with some Everything but the Bagel seasoning. If you don’t have any, just top with poppy seeds, sesame seeds and some salt.
If you’re vegetarian or simply looking for a way to cut costs on this salad (smoked salmon can be a tad pricey), then I’d recommend substituting the salmon with some roasted red peppers. And if you’re a big fan of capers like I am, try chopping them up really finely before adding them to the salad. It disperses the flavor more!