All UC Santa Barbara Summer Sessions will now be conducted through remote instruction, extending the university’s previous decision to conduct only sessions A, C, D and E remotely, according to a campus-wide email sent out Tuesday evening.

UCSB first moved classes online in March toward the end of winter quarter. Max Abrams / Daily Nexus

The email, sent out by Jeffrey Stopple, associate vice chancellor for undergraduate education, and Leesa Beck, director of Summer Sessions, said the decision to move all Summer Sessions courses online came after “further consultation with campus health experts, faculty, students, and key stakeholders.” 

The university is also working to provide digital alternatives to lab and studio courses, Stopple and Beck said in the email, adding that “Instructors in the sciences and arts are collaborating with the pedagogical experts in Instructional Development” to restructure the classes. 

Tuesday’s decision to move all Summer Sessions online also means that the university will deliver its Transfer Edge program and Freshman Summer Start Program remotely, according to the Summer Sessions website.  

Campus housing will also not be “generally available” during Summer 2020, and students who cancel their summer quarter or drop classes by the deadlines “will receive a full refund,” according to the website. 

Two UCSB pre-college programs — the Research Mentorship Program and the Summer Research Academies — will also be held remotely, according to the website; a third program, the Summer Scholars Program, which allows high school students to enroll in two classes for college credit, has been canceled. 

The university has yet to announce a decision about the status of fall quarter instruction. 

Max Abrams
Max Abrams served as the lead news editor for the 2020-2021 school year. He is from Buffalo. That's all you need to know.