If you are looking for a quick and budget-saving snack, try this recipe for a popular Vietnamese street food dish, banh trang nuong (a.k.a Vietnamese pizza). Made with simple ingredients that you might already have in your kitchen, this rice paper snack will be perfect for you and your housemates to make and share during movie or study nights. Traditionally, the rice paper (banh trang) is supposed to be grilled on a barbecue, but if you do not have a grill, a pan on the stove would do just fine! Additionally, since this recipe is highly customizable because a lot of the ingredients are optional, and you could replace them with similar substitutes to please your taste buds. 

Phoenix Pham / Daily Nexus

Ingredients:

• 1 rice paper
  • ½ sausage (optional)
  • 1 cup of pork floss
  • Small dried shrimp (Soak in cold water for 15 minutes. Drain. Rinse then chop finely. Toast on the pan until dried and fragrant)
  • 1 cup of fried shallots
  • 1 tablespoon of butter
  • 1 egg
  • 1 bunch of green onions sliced thinly and microwaved with 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil for 30 seconds.
  • ½  The Laughing Cow cheese (optional)
  • Your desired amount of mayonnaise (optional)
  • Your desired amount of Sriracha 
  • Pepper
  • Salt

Directions:

1. Dice the sausage into small cubes and fry them on a pan. 
  2. Crack the egg into a small bowl, then put in a pinch of pepper and salt. Take the green onions and add them into the same bowl. Mix the egg together with the rest of the ingredients by using chopsticks, or a whisker.
  3. On low heat, add the rice paper on the pan.
  4. Put the egg mixture on top of the rice paper, using the back of a spoon to thinly spread them out.
  5. Put the butter on top of the egg mixture, and spread it out using the same spoon. 
  6. Add the small shrimp, pork floss and fried shallots on gradually. Make sure to use the spoon to spread them out evenly.
  7. When the rice paper becomes a bit more crispy, put the cheese in the middle and add mayonnaise and Sriracha on top.
  8. Fold the rice paper, and serve.

So there you have it Gauchos, a delicious banh trang nuong to enjoy. The next time one of your housemates asks, “Hey, is anyone here hungry?” walk into the kitchen for 10 minutes, and come out to blow their mind with this amazing dish.