It’s arguably the most “basic” time of year — the season in which Starbucks comes out with its newest fall drinks and many, including myself, flock to the nearest store to get a pumpkin spice latte. Personally, I love the pumpkin spice latte. It reminds me of everything great about fall all wrapped up in warm flavor and spices, milk and the slightest hint of coffee. This year, however, Starbucks has come out with a new fall drink which might have the makings to become a new cult classic.

Brea Spencer / Daily Nexus

The pumpkin cream cold brew is the newest addition to the Starbucks menu, and it’s making a wonderful first impression. The drink itself is topped with a layer of cream that is thicker than its typical whipped cream. It comes with a comforting welcome to it, almost like a pumpkin hug. The drink as a whole definitely holds the same flavor as the famous pumpkin spice latte; it’s marked by layers of pumpkin, fall spices and the perfect amount of sweetness. Each of these flavors pairs perfectly with the cold brew. The rich cream cuts through the bitter taste of the cold brew, and the two balance each other well. I highly recommend trying it.

For the sake of comparison, I tried it alongside the classic pumpkin spice latte. The pumpkin spice latte definitely had a more mellow pumpkin taste to it, and because it is a latte, there is almost no coffee flavor. It, of course, incorporates flavors of fall in its spices, but surprisingly, not very much pumpkin. As for the individual, it depends if he or she has a preference for tasting the coffee in their drink.

After trying both, I must say that the cold brew definitely adds a necessary flavor level to the otherwise almost overwhelming sweetness of pumpkin that the pumpkin spice latte just does not accomplish. I still will always be a fan of the pumpkin spice latte because a warm pumpkin drink is just the key to my soul. However, the pumpkin cream cold brew has its own charm and will definitely be making itself a part of my fall drink rotation.

Brea Spencer / Daily Nexus

If neither of these drink options provides enough pumpkin flavor, I recommend trying the pumpkin cream cheese muffin this fall season. This muffin has all of the pumpkin flavor that I think the drinks lack. While it is rich, the cream cheese center adds a perfect addition to the pumpkin flavor. The nuts on the outside also complement the muffin really well. By itself, it may be a little too much, so I suggest pairing it with one of the fall drinks to offset the richness. 

While the pumpkin flavors of fall may be nothing new, the pumpkin cream cold brew is a new take on a beloved classic, and I think it’s worth a try. And who knows? This drink could only be here for this season, so get it while you can.