Looking for a spot to relax with friends over a nice brunch? Try Cajun Kitchen! With four different locations in the Santa Barbara and Goleta area, Cajun Kitchen serves traditional American dishes on its carefully crafted breakfast and lunch menus.

I went to the Goleta location on Calle Real on a Sunday around noon and the restaurant was super crowded, but all the noise and people created a lively environment. I came in a group of 10 people, so we expected to have to wait before getting seated.
We were seated in a large booth, and although we were a big party, our food came out in a reasonable amount of time. We all shared the beignets ($4.25), and my friend and I shared the French quarter omelet ($12.50) and fried chicken and waffle ($12.50).

Winnie Lam / Daily Nexus

The beignets were perfectly fried with a good amount of powdered sugar, making it a sweet way to start my meal. They were also bite-sized, which made them super cute, and one order was enough for every person at my table to try at least one.
The French quarter omelet included avocado, hot sausage, mushrooms and jack cheese, but I switched out the mushrooms for spinach instead. The spiciness from the sausage gave the omelet a nice kick and contrasted nicely with the savory and rich flavor of the avocado and the eggs themselves. The dish also came with a generous portion of hash browns, which were not as crispy as I would’ve liked but nonetheless very tasty.

Winnie Lam / Daily Nexus

I also tried the fried chicken and waffle, which is something I’ve never had before, despite the hype. The fried chicken was crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, with lots of flavor. As for the waffles, the strawberries and whipped cream made the top of the waffles a little bit soggy, so I would recommend eating the waffles before the chicken to make sure they taste the freshest. After eating this dish, I completely understand why people rave so much about chicken and waffles because the sweet and savory components work so well together.

Overall, my first time at Cajun Kitchen left my stomach and taste buds very satisfied. Their generous portions and superb flavors make it worth every penny, and I would definitely come here again for both the food and the bustling atmosphere.

Winnie Lam
Winnie Lam serves as the 2020-2021 On The Menu Editor. She has an unhealthy obsession with Trader Joe's and she loves all things matcha.