UC Santa Barbara admitted 32.4 percent of applicants for the class of 2022, according to data released by the UC Office of the President.

UCSB admitted 29,782 students out of 92,017 freshmen applicants, both of which are record-high numbers compared to previous years.

The new admissions numbers represent an increase of 2,903 admitted freshmen students compared to those admitted for the 2017-18 school year.

Data courtesy of UC Office of the President. Numbers for 2015-16 to 2017-18 can be found here, and data for 2007-08 to 2014-15 can be found here. Hayley Tice / Daily Nexus

Out-of-state and international students make up approximately 60 percent of the increase in admitted freshman.

UCSB accepted 991 more international students and 735 more out-of-state students for the freshman class than it did the previous year.

Non-resident students typically accept UC admission offers at a “much lower rate” than resident students, according to a press release from UC Office of the President (UCOP).

Asian Americans were the largest ethnic group admitted as freshmen at UCSB at 38 percent of admits, followed by Latinx and white students, each about 26 percent of admits.

African Americans represented four percent of admits, and the remaining six percent of admits were American Indian, Pacific Islander or declined to state their ethnicity.

Data courtesy of UCOP. Hayley Tice / Daily Nexus

The admission rate for freshmen applicants decreased slightly to 32.4 percent compared to 32.9 percent from the previous year. It has decreased from 48.2 percent since 2009.

Data courtesy of UCOP. Like the first chart, data for 2015-16 to 2017-18 can be found here, and data for 2007-08 to 2014-15 can be found here. Hayley Tice / Daily Nexus

UCSB admitted 736 more transfer students than in 2016-17.

White students were the largest ethnic group admitted as transfers at 36 percent of admitted students, followed by Latinx students at 28 percent of admits, Asian Americans at 27 percent of admits and African Americans at five percent of admits.

Approximately 38 percent of freshmen and 49 percent of community college transfer- admitted students were first-generation college students.

Additionally, about 35 percent of freshmen admits and 51 percent of transfer admits were categorized as low income.

Low income refers to students whose household income is less than $52,006 for 2018, according to UCOP.

Current admissions statistics are preliminary and may change as the UC finalizes the data, according to UCOP.

Get the data!

You can download data on freshmen admissions from the past 10 years here.

Hayley Tice
Hayley Tice serves as data editor for the 2020-21 school year. She can be reached at hayleytice@dailynexus.com or data@dailynexus.com.