A 20-year-old UC Santa Barbara student was found dead in the Santa Ynez Mountains Tuesday afternoon, according to UCSB Dean of Student Life Katya Armistead.

Annie Lynn Wang, a second-year psychology major, was located at approximately 2:30 p.m. in the Cold Springs Bridge area, according to a Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office (SBSO) statement sent to the Nexus by Armistead.

“The Sheriff’s Search and Rescue Team searched the area this afternoon and at approximately 2:30 p.m. today, May 22, 2018, they located Annie Wang deceased in Cold Springs Canyon,” the statement read.

Her death is the result of an apparent suicide, according to the statement. Her family has been notified.

She was first reported missing by friends on Monday morning to the UCSB Police Department.

Wang’s friends set up a GoFundMe on Wednesday to help her family with funeral expenses, according to the webpage.

Students who are in need of mental health support can contact Counseling and Psychological Services (C.A.P.S.) at caps.sa.ucsb.edu or 805-893-4411.

Update: This article was updated to include information about the GoFundMe. 

Evelyn Spence
Evelyn Spence harbors a great love for em dashes and runs on nothing but iced coffee, Jolly Ranchers and breaking news. She serves as the managing editor and can be reached at evelyn@dailynexus.com, managing@dailynexus.com or at @evelynrosesc on Twitter.