A common complaint during A.S. Elections season is that candidates make promises they think will get them elected, despite not having any prior work to show for such a promise.

Some candidates make promises that are just plain odd (one candidate for A.S. Senate promised last week that he would “limit stress” on campus if elected). This is not true for Hieu Le, the Campus United candidate for A.S. president.

Jose Ochoa/Daily Nexus

Le, a transfer student from Sacramento, makes his bid for president having only spent a little over two quarters at UC Santa Barbara. His work as a student advocate, however, extends years before his arrival at the university, granting him the privilege of now rubbing elbows with some of California’s key lawmakers.

The newly formed Isla Vista Party runs on a platform of eliminating tuition and representing all student groups, especially those pockets of campus that have been historically underrepresented in A.S. The best candidate for accomplishing this, however, is not the Isla Vista Party candidate. It is Le.

As a delegate to the California Democratic Party, he has already been working with the state legislature to eliminate college tuition. Whether he wins the election as A.S. president or not, he will continue in this task.

Le also seems more privy to a wide range of student voices in his decision-making process than Nawar Nemeh. When asked how he plans to “reach across the aisle” if elected A.S. President, Nemeh told the Nexus that he has a set of goals and “others can choose to work with me or not.”

Though he is readily qualified, a few pieces of Le’s platform may need some work. For one, Le plans to address student fees by implementing a program for students to run their own businesses on campus.

The Nexus questions the feasibility of such a program.

The campus should consider it a privilege that students have to pick between highly qualified presidential candidates. Le could take a few lessons from Nemeh on the inner workings of A.S., but ultimately Le is the representative for all students at UCSB.

Profiles of all 51 A.S. candidates can be found here.