Noah Sayres / Daily Nexus

Noah Sayres / Daily Nexus

The Chinese Food Festival was held Thursday in the MCC to showcase authentic Chinese cuisine. Some dishes were fantastic, while others were hit-or-miss. Both the tofu dish and the spicy glass noodles were excellent. The tofu melted like delicately spiced silk upon the palate. The glass noodles added just the right amount of heat to balance out a surprisingly mild meal. Unfortunately, the egg rolls were bland, limp and soggy and the dumplings looked and tasted like they were microwaved straight out of a Trader Joe’s bag. An unusual but surprising knockout dish was the jellyfish. Jellyfish is not a dish one typically sees in Chinese restaurants in America, but its crunchy yet soft texture was a revelation.

Noah Sayres / Daily Nexus

Noah Sayres / Daily Nexus

The duck tongue, on the other hand, was just odd. Perhaps it was my Western palate, but the bony texture combined with a bland sauce just did not appeal to my taste buds. Some other exotic dishes included chicken and pig’s feet. Everyone who attended also got a hot cup of sweet rice wine to wash it down. The drink had floating rice balls inside and was delicious. All in all, the Chinese Food Festival set out to expose students to authentic Chinese cuisine and, for the most part, it succeeded.

Noah Sayres / Daily Nexus

Noah Sayres / Daily Nexus