Oftentimes while I am cooking something in front of my housemates or when I share food with my loved ones, they compliment me on how good the food is and how talented I must be to prepare the dish when really all I did was half-assedly follow a recipe and put it on a pretty plate. So I am here to teach you how to do that as well as impress all the “boys in the yard” with your milkshake delicacies.
1. Gather Yo’ Shit: You won’t make a successful recipe if you don’t make sure you have all your ingredients and utensils. Even if you know you don’t have something, plan what you’re using as a substitute. I’m not saying don’t get creative in the kitchen, just make sure you at least have a game plan.
2. Prepping Is Essential: Rookie mistake number one is thinking you have a few extra minutes to let those onions sauté while you chop the next ingredient. Everything should be cut, sliced, diced and waiting for your magic to work over them.
3. Spice It Up: I do literally mean spice. If you like garlic, throw a pinch in. If you prefer oregano to basil, switch it up. Make this recipe your own. It’s not going to be enjoyable unless it’s made with stuff you actually like!
4. Don’t Stress the Little Spoons in Life: Measurements are important but not precise. What’s more important is to taste your meal. If your measurement isn’t spot on, you’ll be okay as long as you can find the balance between the other ingredients.
5. Dress to Impress: If you really want to impress those starving dinner guests, buy some placemats and skip the paper plates for the funky fresh dining set your grandma gave you because she has a lot more faith in your hand-eye coordination than you know she should. Pick a theme and run with it; your guests will be so awestruck that you even own silverware they won’t notice if the food is subpar.
Whether you’re making dinner for yourself and want amazing leftovers, cooking something hot for your special friend — *wink wink* — or preparing a friend feasting frenzy, these tips will help you ensure that the meal you make will be something you can write home to ma’ about.
Bonus Tip: If you want to create something easy yet impressive, prepare a build-your-own meal. Whether it’s pizza, pitas or anything else, people love to customize. Just prepare the toppings and put them in cute bowls, and your guest will do all the work for you while you take all the credit!
- Science & Tech
- On the Menu
- Daily Stench
- La Vista