Rae Ann Varona / Daily Nexus.

Rae Ann Varona / Daily Nexus.

Two farmers markets occur weekly in the Calle Real Shopping Center. The Thursday farmers market is from 3:00–6:30 p.m. and only has eight stands. This is a slow moving, super calm atmosphere. I went at 4 p.m. and saw about six people at the market, and it was mostly mothers and their children. Those trying to sell their products also had a laid-back, no-worry attitude.

The market houses two flower bouquet stands, as well as stalls from Ebby’s Organic Farm, The Center for Urban Agriculture at Fairview Gardens and Lane Farms, which together could provide you with your basic vegetable needs, including lettuce, fresh herbs, snap peas, avocados, beautiful-looking cabbage, radishes and beets. If you’re craving berries, Chuy’s Berry Farm has juicy strawberries, blackberries and blueberries to offer you. Devereux Greenhouse offers succulents from its stand. Lastly, there is a stand devoted to organic and cage-free chicken and duck eggs, as well as beautiful single roses from Lily’s Eggs — I personally enjoyed speaking with Lily’s father about how they care for their 9-acre farm and about 3,000 chickens!

This farmers market seriously needs more love from the community, but because it is such a small market, I would not go out of my way to get there. However, if you feel like stepping out of the fast-paced life of a busy student and are craving some interactions with friendly vendors, it’s worth checking out.