UCSB’s two-day Fall Career Fair kicked off yesterday with its Science, Technology and Engineering Day and will continue with All Major Day today at Corwin Pavilion from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.

Nearly 50 science and technology companies — including corporate powerhouses such as Microsoft, Intel and Facebook — sent out representatives to inform students about job and internship opportunities. Today’s fair will cater to all students, featuring employers from a range of industries including AT&T, Insight Global, Macy’s, Verizon Wireless and Panda Express.

Third-year chemical engineering major Helen Lieu said businesses are not always looking strictly for students interested in their main area of business and often have branches and divisions that specialize in entirely different fields from the company’s main sector.

“Sometimes you might think the company is looking for something else, but they might be looking for chemical engineers too,” Lieu said.

According to Facebook recruiter Adam Ward, the company’s debut on the UCSB campus attracted a great deal of student interest. Ward said he found numerous potential candidates for employment with the company.

“We’ve had long lines all day … it’s been great,” Ward said. “We’ve met a lot of great students … hopefully we’ll hire a handful of interns and new guys. I’m sure we’ll make hires.”

Microsoft’s Senior Program Manager Hagen Green said students from such diverse academic backgrounds as psychology, law and anthropology can provide original perspectives necessary for the company.

“We’re here to help inform students about what we do as a company. Microsoft is not the same Microsoft as a couple years ago,” Green said. “That’s one. Two is, we want to tell students what kind of positions we have, and … see if they’re a good match for the position and if the position is a good match for them. We look at their resume, we talk about their experiences, tell them about their role and get them excited about it. And then three is, we want to tell students about some of the technology we have. … We want to show that off and tell them what we’re working on and just really engage with students so that they understand what Microsoft is all about.”

According to Intel’s Software Validation Manager Steve Henneman, the career fair is a critical part of the hiring process for both company and student.

“This is our interface to the school,” Henneman said. “This is how we collect resumes and shake hands and pick the best people we can. Obviously you can go to Intel.com and look at what’s out there, but here’s an opportunity to talk to somebody and ask specific questions about what kind of jobs we have open and what sites we exist at, that sort of thing.”

Fourth-year computer engineering major Ryan Summers said attending the fair helped him secure a past internship and a current full-time job offer.

“Come to all the career fairs and just get used to talking to people,” Summers said. “There’s no better way to understand the job field than talking to so many companies, selling yourself, then coming here and getting practice. It’s almost like an interview every time you talk to someone.”

For a full list of businesses, government and nonprofit organizations, visit https://ucsb-csm.symplicity.com/events/students.php?cf=fall12.