New Student Convocation will take place on September 19 from 3 to 4 pm on the Faculty Club Green to welcome freshmen and transfer students to the greater UCSB community of scholars and students.

The ceremony will feature speeches from UCSB Chancellor Henry T. Yang, Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs Michael Young, Executive Dean of the College of Letters and Science David Marshall and Associated Students President Harrison Weber.

Residence Hall Association President Raul Martinez described the ceremony as a right of passage into the university community.

“The people you will be surrounded with will go on to lead this university in the years to come, many students will accomplish great things and it is the principle of uncertainty and the prospect of greatness that makes Convocation an unforgettable experience in one’s collegiate career,” Martinez said in an e-mail.

Weber, a fourth-year history of public policy major, said he encourages students to find their unique roles within the Gaucho community.

“As limitless as college seems, it will end and everyone should make the most of their experience,” Weber said. “Eighty-five percent of the student body here is involved in at least one extracurricular activity, whether it is a club, sport, or campus organization. The college experience is a rare gem. In light of the battle for education we now face, a sense of ownership and tradition are more important than ever before.”