An Oxnard resident pled not guilty last week to a string of felony charges he was accused of committing in Isla Vista on Dec. 4.

According to county law enforcement, the suspect, 19-year-old Quincy Lamar Brown, allegedly began his crime spree on the 6700 block of Sabado Tarde by breaking into a residence and attempting to sexually assault two women inside. He then reportedly broke into a nearby residence and stole the keys to an F-150 pick-up truck and committed a misdemeanor hit-and-run further down Sabado before escaping.

County detectives arrested Brown on March 17 and booked him into the Santa Barbara County Jail on one-million-dollar bail.

Deputies traced the crime to Brown after discovering a 16-year-old male in possession of the stolen vehicle and linked the theft to Brown. Detectives made the arrest after acquiring a DNA sample from Brown and matching it to a sample taken from one of the female victims.

According to Drew Sugars, public information officer for the Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Dept., the suspect complied with law enforcement during the investigative process.

“The DNA sample was taken after deputies took him into custody,” Sugars said. “It was part of his probationary requirements and he did not put up a struggle.”

Sugars said detectives are unsure how the vehicle changed possession.

“We are still investigating how that happened. We are not sure if it was paid for or loaned … but we do believe the suspect we arrested is responsible for originally stealing the vehicle.”

—Staff Report