The UCSB baseball team returned from its chilly trip north with two losses after a doubleheader at Washington State this past weekend. The would-be three game series was re-scheduled to just two games on Saturday due to unfavorable weather conditions. Washington State won the first game 5-1 and the second 7-3.

[media-credit name=”John Kopecky” align=”alignleft” width=”250″][/media-credit]“We didn’t play poorly, although we did make a couple mistakes,” Head Coach Bob Brontsema said.

With the loss, UCSB’s overall record moves closer to the .500 mark at 3-2, while Wazzou’s record rises to 4-1. With temperatures hovering around just 10 degrees throughout the weekend, the Gauchos played through the harshest weather conditions so far this season.

“It was really, really cold,” Brontsema said. “I thought our guys handled it extremely well. There was no complaining or moping.”

In his first outing of the season, senior right-hander Jesse Meaux started off on the mound for UCSB on Saturday.

Meaux threw just over seven innings and allowed five runs on eight hits, striking out two players in the process.

“I made a couple bad pitches that I paid for,” Meaux said.

The first game was played in a light rain that lasted throughout the day.

“No one was complaining, but it was tough,” Meaux said. “Everything [including] how the ball flies for the outfielders … all changed.”

UCSB scored runs in just one inning per game throughout the weekend. Junior outfielder Joey Wallace hit his second home run of the season during the ninth inning of the first game.

Freshman catcher Joe Winterburn began a rally for UCSB in the second inning of the team’s second game when his double led to three runs scored for the Gauchos and gave UCSB its only lead of the series. Winterburn’s hit was one of just seven on the weekend for the Gauchos.

“We didn’t swing the bat like we’re capable of,” Brontsema said. “We had missed opportunities and they took advantage of that and manufactured some runs.”

Senior left-hander Nick Capito and junior right-hander Matt Vedo each pitched multiple innings for UCSB during its second game.

“The pitcher from Washington State was real good,” Brontsema said. “Combine him with the weather, and [they’re] good.”

Washington State junior pitcher Adam Conley pitched six innings in the first game, allowing just two hits to go along with his one walk. Vedo and Capito each pitched during cold-weather conditions and allowed six hits and seven runs between the two of them.

“[They] had a hard time getting a feel of the baseball because it was so cold,” Brontsema said. “The [pitchers’] command wasn’t as good.”

UCSB will travel to warmer climates for a game on Tuesday at Pepperdine at 2 p.m.