UCSB student Michael Tetteh recently became the 10th addition to the 2011 Generation Adidas class, joining the ranks of top college soccer players across the nation.

Generation Adidas is a program set up by Major League Soccer in conjunction with the Adidas brand that identifies the top-performing underclassmen soccer players in the country. Tetteh signed the GA pro-contract earlier this month, making him the third player in the history of the program to skip his senior year to become a professional soccer player.

[media-credit name=”Daily Nexus File Photo” align=”alignleft” width=”152″][/media-credit]

Michael Tetteh ranks as one of the top underclassman soccer players in the nation. The native Ghanan has signed a pro-contract with Generation Adidas.

Tetteh, a third-year sociology major and native of Accra, Ghana, first came to the United States in 2005. He played soccer at Dunn School in Los Olivos, Calif. for three years before becoming a Gaucho midfielder and defender.

This past weekend, Tetteh — along with senior teammate Michael Boxall and 58 of the other best players in the nation — attended the MLS Player Combine in Florida. Tetteh said the event allows MLS coaches and general managers to observe and evaluate players before the league’s official SuperDraft on Jan. 13.

“Overall, I think I performed well at the combine,” Tetteh said. “The first game was okay, I didn’t lose the ball much, but [during yesterday’s game], I had an assist on the goal and crossed the ball down the line a bunch of times.”

Tetteh has played a total of 59 games with 8 assists and 6 goals during his college career. Although he sustained injuries this past season, UCSB Coach Tim Vom Steeg said Tetteh has the potential and talent to pursue his lifelong dream of major league fame.

“He played extremely well his sophomore year,” UCSB Coach Tim Vom Steeg said. “He suffered a couple injuries though, including a sprained ankle. This sort of limited his playing minutes, but after that, he came back on the field and showed everyone he was still a highly skilled player.”

Tetteh and his agent plan to meet with the MLS coaches to determine whether he has made it to the first or second draft.