Campus Democrats and College Republicans will host a televised broadcast of the debate between gubernatorial candidates Jerry Brown and Meg Whitman at the University Center Hub this evening.

Event organizers said they hope to promote political discussion and involvement in the democratic process in time for the Nov. 2 midterm elections. Information on voter registration as well as a breakdown of candidates and propositions on the California ballot will be presented at the event. In addition, local politicians including Mike Stoker — currently a candidate for 35th State Assembly — and 23rd District Congressional Candidate Tom Watson will be on location at 5:30 p.m. to answer questions about the electoral process and their own campaigns.

The gubernatorial debate will air at 6:30 p.m. on various stations including CNN and Fox News.

Michael Amlani, regional chair for Students for Meg, said it is crucial for students to become aware of the policies supported by each candidate as the election draws near.

“[Attendees will] gain some insight on candidates and issues in order to make a better-informed decision because Nov. 2 is a very important election to each and every American,” Amlani said.

According to Amlani, attendees of the debate can register in the Hub to vote in the statewide general elections, as the deadline to register is Oct. 18.

College Republicans President Kristin Till, a fourth-year communication and Italian studies major, said students should vote for the politicians that hold their viewpoint and avoid playing partisan games.

“It’s not about the party, it’s about the people,” Till said. “It’s important that people are familiar with how each candidate stands on certain topics.”

Although there are over 36 million residing in California, Alma Soriano, Campus Democrats’ vice president of events and a third-year political science major, said students constitute a critical voting demographic in this, and every, election.

“It’s important for students to vote because elections are going to determine what happens with higher education in the upcoming years,” Soriano said. “Our tuition fees are increasing. Last year we had a 32 percent tuition increase and once we graduate, we need to make sure we have opportunities for employment.”

Chilitos will hold Happy Hour throughout the event.