The Democratic Party has been whistling past the graveyard, celebrating their success at nationalizing healthcare in spite of their increasingly dismal political future. Their ill-gotten gain comes at a price, for never before has the U.S. Congress made so many corrupt deals to pass a piece of legislation, showed such utter disdain for the will of the American people or so irresponsibly frittered away our individual liberty. The Democrats are now descending into an abyss of widespread voter anger and united Republican dynamism. Their inevitable and deserved demise will be a direct result of the incredible harm their healthcare bill has inflicted upon the economic and cultural fabric of our nation.

In addition to raising taxes and cutting hundreds of billions of dollars of Medicare benefits for seniors desperately dependent on the program, the healthcare bill has deepened Obama’s unprecedented deficit. The Congressional Budget Office predicted that Obama’s 2011 budget would add $9.75 trillion in deficits over the next decade. In 2020, the national deficit could reach $20.3 trillion, or $170,000 per household, totaling 90 percent of the U.S. GDP. In other words, the debt accrued by Obama’s stimulus and healthcare spending will eventually consume 90 cents of every dollar earned by private individuals. The National Inflation Association has warned that the unpaid costs of healthcare and rising interest payments on the national debt could lead to hyperinflation within five years, for the U.S. government has reached the point where taxing every individual by 100 percent of their income could not balance the budget.

Ironically, the Democrats’ economic train wreck will not even bring about universal healthcare. Healthcare premiums for the poor and middle class will rise significantly due to increased regulations and mandates implemented through the federal government’s healthcare exchange. One such regulation will prohibit health insurers from denying coverage to people who apply after having already gotten sick, which is equivalent to letting someone buy a fire insurance policy after their house has already burned down. Saddled with moochers buying coverage after the fact, health insurers will be driven out of business, leading to bigger monopolies and ever higher prices. Yet as prices go up, individuals will be forced by the government to buy increasingly unaffordable health insurance. If they can’t afford to buy it, they’ll be fined. If they don’t pay the fine, they’ll be thrown in prison. For the first time in American history, the federal government will dictate what private goods we must buy with our own money.

Yet despite the damage done by their unconstitutional overreaching, the Democrats have done the American people a service. The dark character of their party and their utter disdain for our freedom has now been laid bare for all to see. They have hastened a resurgence of Conservatism that will overcome Obama’s statist agenda and return America to the founding principles of liberty and limited government that produced our exceptional greatness. The Democrats may have gained a temporary victory, but their fate in the November midterm elections has been sealed.