Hoping to live up to its reputation as a green campus, UCSB is participating in the 10th annual RecycleMania contest.

The 10-week-long international competition — which began on Jan. 17 and runs through March 27 –aims to promote sustainable practices on college campuses. This year’s contest will host over 580 universities, including eight international campuses in Canada and Qatar. On campus, students can participate in RecycleMania at cleanups on Jan. 23 and 24 and a sustainable fashion show and film screening on Jan. 29.

As part of the competition, the Associated Students Recycling Committee will report the total number of recyclable trash items collected each week on campus.

“I think the goal of the competition is to really highlight how important it is to have a strong recycling program and reduce waste,” Committee Chair Philip Jankoski said. “We want to emphasize and showcase how important recycling in general is and obviously the competition and school pride.”

Additionally, Jankoski said students can easily start recycling right now.

“If you’re living in [Isla Vista] and don’t have large blue recycling bins, you should contact your landlords so they can provide them,” Jankoski said. “Also, if you get into composting you can save trash from the landfills.”

For more information about the competition, visit www.recyclemania.org.