The Associated Students Finance Board allocated $10,930 to five organizations during the first meeting of Winter Quarter last night.

At the start of the meeting, Finance Board advisor Brian O’Donnell announced that $6,854.89 was carried over to this quarter’s budget from fall funds. Additionally, O’Donnell noted that the board would likely receive more requests than in Fall Quarter due to the many events planned for spring.

During allocations, a representative from the Music Dept. asked for $429.76 to pay the catering bill from a Gamma Society concert held last spring. According to the representative, Gamma Society originally asked for and was granted $450 from the board. However, the money was never delivered. After reviewing the information, board members distributed $430 to the Music Dept.

Three representatives from Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority requested $2,550 for their annual Winter Quarter to cover the costs for a live DJ and security personnel. According to the representatives, all their proceeds will be donated to charities of the Santa Barbara community.

However, the request raised some eyebrows from the board because Alpha Kappa Alpha did not specify the charity that would receive the donations. Board member Josue Aparicio said the money should be earmarked for a specific organization or charity before Alpha Kappa Alpha receives any financial support.

Board member Bennett Duval moved for a motion to table Alpha Kappa Alpha’s request until next week.

“[We] need to know where the money goes,” Duval said.

Meanwhile, the Mock Trial team’s request for $2,290 – divided into three different allocations — was approved by the board after little deliberation. The team will be traveling to three competitions this month. The first will be at UCLA in which all 16 members will be attending at a cost of $1,140 and the second will take place at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas with half the team attending for $525. The third will be at UCSD with the other half of the team participating for $625.

The board also fully funded Laughology’s request for $5,850 for venue and flyer costs and the Scientific Understanding and Reasoning Enrichment organization’s request for $160. Additionally, the Vietnamese Student Association received $2,200 out of their original request of $2,900 for 19 candidates to attend a conference focused on race and the Southeast Asian demographics at UC Davis.