It has been almost five years since phenomenal rap artist Eminem has graced the public with any new music. But now he’s back: His latest album, Relapse, is his most raw, intense and overall in-depth look into his usually chaotic life. Eminem has been known not only for creating controversy, but also for pissing people off… fans and celebrities alike. This album does just that and more. Relapse gives the audience a real account of what has been going on in Em’s life since he vacated the spotlight, and the only common element is drugs.

In almost every song, he raps about his use of every kind of drug you can imagine (and more), from Vicodin to Valium to NyQuil. If you thought his last album, Encore was bad, Relapse is even more psychotic, and lets Eminem do what he does best: clear his mind and get everything off his chest. This album plays out like a true confessional for Em, with no mention of his ex-wife, Kim. Instead, he delivers straight Dr. Dre beats and solid lyrics from Eminem’s vault of brilliance.

Although his first single, “We Made You,” is a played-out and tired bunch of insults for famous foes like Britney and Lindsay, Eminem seems to have a new agenda and a clear state of mind on the album’s other tracks. This is classic Eminem at his best, with tracks like “Déjà Vu,” which offers an inside look into where Eminem has been for the last five years, with trips to rehab, addiction and return to sobriety. He even blasts himself and the media hype by admitting that his hospital visit in 2007 was in fact all a farce.

“That whole pneumonia thing / That was baloney / Was it the methadone, ya think?”

That is what sets this album apart from the rest: It is a truly dark and demented biography of the pain the man has felt, from being molested as child to his tumultuous adult years.

Another great song off the album is the Shady-produced “Beautiful,” which at times may seem a little awkward, mainly due to his attempt to sing, but the words are extremely powerful and, at times, eerie. Some other notable mentions from the album are “My Mom” and “Same Song and Dance.”

Eminem is and will remain one of the most influential and powerful rappers of all time. Whether you hate him or you love him, there is no denying his way with words. He knows how to shock, how to provoke and most of all, he knows just how to say too much and too little all at the same time.