Brownies are just the beginning.

We’d begin by describing them as rich and gooey gateways to the realm of other delicious magical treats, but those in power have transformed the word “gateway” into weed’s ignorant little sidekick that won’t take a flashing neon hint and go the hell away. So we’ll just preface this column by saying we’re certain Isla Vistans can produce a wider variety of potent edibles than even Jeff has managed to swallow lately. Brownies? Where we’re going, we don’t need brownies.

Practically every edible starts with the simmering process – steeping your greens in butter, oil or milk to extract that precious THC. We’d hate to lose the n00bs at this juncture, but for a more informative description of this process, just Google “Celebrate 420 the Delicious Way” and we’ll guide you through the prelims. But now back to making goodies.

If Jondo spent as much time cooking as he did climbing half-domes, then he’d be a half-baked Prudhomme. From lava cakes to scones and truffles to muffins, he’s concocted some kooky compilations his friends can’t get enough of. But he’s here today to offer you all a little trick of the herbal trade.

Question: What do you usually do with the soft, leftover buds still covered in butter – and THC – once you’re done simmering them on the stove?

Well, including the leftovers in your recipe can lead to chunky and distasteful results, while chucking them in the trash bin just lets the seagulls have all the fun. Still no clue?

The answer is pesto.

Pesto sauce disguises the leftover plant material in with the herbs you need – either basil or cilantro – in order to make the tasty pasta topping. The best part is this recipe doesn’t even require any cooking – just a brief adventure to swipe your neighbor’s blender.

Here are your ingredients: Fresh cilantro or basil, making sure you maintain an equal herb-to-herb ratio in the final mixture. Pine nuts (about $20 per lb.), or cashews (about $12 per lb.), considering you probably spent most of your cash on your weed stash. Fresh garlic, because at least the vampires won’t get at you when you’re too stoned to move. Extra virgin olive oil, because some say it’s better with a first timer. And if we’re gonna talk about sex, a generous pinch of salt and pepper, maybe even some lemon or lime juice to give it some spunk. You could even throw in some sun-dried tomatoes or caramelized onions if you’re feeling lucky.

Assembly is pretty basic. Grab your blender. Pour in an equal amount of herb and bud while blending nature’s gifts on a lower power setting – you don’t want your latest efforts on your kitchen floor along with last week’s shredded cheese. Next, throw in a few spoonfuls (depending on how much sauce you’re making) of pine nuts (or cashews) along with olive oil, watching the blender do your work for you. The runnier you want your sauce, the more olive oil you should use. Try a little at first. You can always add more into the blend if you so choose. If you want to throw some acidity into the mix, now’s the time for lemon or lime juice – or champagne vinegar in true I.V. fashion. Salt and pepper can finally make their stage appearance at this point, but save the sun-dried tomatoes and onions for the encore.

Once the sauce is mixed to your liking, you can throw the pesto onto just about any munchies your stomach is grumbling for. From pasta to sandwiches to steak to seafood to Woodstock’s pizza, you can turn your delicious meal into a trip to the moon without that overbearing herbal flavor or awkward crunch between your incisors.

Weed has had its time on the dessert menu. It’s time to incorporate your crave into the main course.

Daily Nexus columnist Jeff Gibson wants a bong rip for every time someone asked him, “How is it not drinking?” this weekend. Jondo Lopez-Carrillo is a fourth-year environmental studies major.

Brownies are just the beginning.

The answer is pesto.