Quit Worrying About Timing and Carpe Diem It Up!

By Melissa Davis / Staff Writer

I’m graduating — it doesn’t mean I’m dying. Everyone acts like our lives are over and nothing will ever be the same and blah, blah, blah. It’s true, but there’s no need to be super melodramatic about it.

Some people — like nifty Nicki (yeah, I’m calling you out) — seem to think there’s no point in starting a relationship or even “talking” to a member of the opposite sex since summer and graduation are looming. True, the next five weeks aren’t exactly enough time to foster a relationship that lasts forever, but — not to be way harsh — 50 percent of marriages in the U.S. don’t exactly last forever either. So excuse me for wanting to carpe diem it up while I still have a field to play some game in… well, my version of game, anyway.

While I don’t suggest purposefully trolling for studs or ladies over the next few weekends hoping for a relationship that will culminate in wedded bliss, I don’t think people should reject eligible hotties simply because the timing isn’t excellent. Seriously, when is timing ever right? You can’t pencil love or other unexpected events into your appointment book, unless you’re clairvoyant or a massive control freak.

Besides, dating is supposed to be fun and not taken crazy seriously, and summer gives you an amazing out if you find out your potential SigOther is a massive lurp, and distance is less time-consuming than restraining-order paperwork. Furthermore, if everything actually goes well, summer break and graduation don’t mean the relationship has to end, if it’s worth it.

There’s still plenty of time for singles to remain single, singles to couple and couples to become single. Sure, you don’t have forever, but timing isn’t everything… until you’re dead.

Save the Hookums With Your Schnookums for the Fall

By Nicki Arnold / Staff Writer

I’d like to preface this by saying that starting relationships in general is difficult. Coping with first kisses, first dates, first “I kick it with your friends because now we’re all friends” hang-out sessions or first gift exchanges is tough. Starting a relationship with a big obstacle already in its path – namely, graduation and summer vacation – sounds like a horrible idea. Tackling that issue in the first month is overly difficult and not worth it.

The biggest problem I see with the whole timing issue is that both my schnookums and I might be moving elsewhere, either because we’re graduating and moving on with life or going back home for the summer. Distance is tough for even the strongest of relationships to conquer. A pathetic one-month-old relationship – if you can even call it that – doesn’t stand a chance. Miles are quite a strong contender, and when paired with a jealous partner, there’s hardly even a fight.

“Oh, but Nicki, why not just go out and have fun? It’s not like you have to take this whole dating game so seriously.”

Yes, having fun is good. Let’s make it clear I’m not against fun. But let’s be honest: Even in a hookup that’s “just a fling,” you still spend hours wondering if he’ll text you for a booty call tonight and you’ll worry if she wants something more.

There are lots of things to look forward to at the end of the year: being with my BFFs, getting a job (theoretically), enjoying every drop of summer sun, being uncommitted. None of these things include “starting a relationship.” I enjoy flirting and mackin’ as much as the next girl, and I’m totally not saying I’m not going to avoid “talking” to boys if the opportunity presents itself. It’s just that there are much better things to do than fret over a baby relationship. Come, single ones, join me on the beach – once the sun comes back.