1. It’s been called the “Grizzly Man” of the ocean. Check out “Deep Water,” a film following the true story of amateur yachtsman Donald Crowhurst’s participation in the first solo, nonstop boat race around the world. See it at Campbell Hall at 7:30 p.m. on Jan. 10.

2. Steve Carell’s dramedy about domestic life also stars Dane Cook, Juliette Binoche and Diane Wiest. Check out “Dan in Real Life,” on Friday at 7 and 10 p.m. and Monday at 10 p.m. in I.V. Theater. Tickets are just $4, thanks to the fine folks at Magic Lantern Films.

3. Khaled Hosseini, author of The Kite Runner, is back at the top of the New York Times Bestseller list with A Thousand Splendid Suns. The novel showcases the lives of two women in war-torn Afghanistan, as they endure regimes, rebellion, religious tyranny and the resilience they derive from their relationship. And, after almost a year on the shelves, it’s still number one.

4. After the Screen Actors Guild declared that its members would not cross Writers Guild of America picket lines to attend the Golden Globe Awards, the Hollywood Foreign Press Association announced on Jan. 7 that the Globes will not continue as planned. Instead, the HFPA plans to announce the award winners at a press conference during the original ceremony’s Jan. 13 airdate.

5. Congratulations to saucy Aussie Nicole Kidman, who announced on Jan. 7 that she and husband Keith Urban are expecting their first child. Kidman already has two adopted children with her ex, scientologist and perennial late-night punch line Tom Cruise.

6. Comedy connoisseurs should check out Katt Williams, Tracy Morgan, Regina Hall and Ice Cube in “First Sunday.” The film, which opens on Jan. 11, features Williams, Morgan and Cube as a trio of petty criminals who come up with a crazy plan to plunder the local church. Ostensibly, hilarity ensues.