Santa Barbara County firefighters responded to a house fire in Goleta on Thanksgiving after residents reported a cooking accident.

Residents of 6580 Camino Venturoso woke up to the smell of fire early Thursday morning and contacted the fire department. Thirteen firefighters arrived at the scene at 4:44 a.m. and discovered the wooden deck burning. It took 10 minutes to contain the fire and an additional 30 minutes to completely extinguish it.

According to a press release from the Santa Barbara County Fire Dept., the accidental fire was caused by drippings and ash from a turkey smoker, which was left overnight to cook the turkey for Thanksgiving dinner. The drippings ignited the cardboard beneath the smoker and then spread to the wooden deck.

Santa Barbara Fire Dept. spokesman Eli Iskow said no injuries were reported and that the damage was estimated at $15,000.

“The structure was spared but the turkey is a complete loss,” Iskow said.

According to a press release from the Santa Barbara County Fire Dept., cooking fires are more likely to occur on Thanksgiving than any other day of the year. The fire department also stated that cooking accidents are the number one cause of home fires and injuries.

Additionally, the National Fire Protection Association reports that nearly 1,300 home structure fires occurred in the United States on Thanksgiving in 2005 – roughly three times the daily average in the country.