Craving cold cuts? Titillated over turkey? Have a hankering for ham? Before you can say “Pass the pastrami,” you can find several Isla Vista eateries featuring the foremost in satiating sandwiches. If you’re hungry for all the food groups in one hand, join the club – sandwich, that is.

All That and a Bag of Chips
Javan’s
938 Embarcadero del Norte
(805) 968-2180
Price: Under $10

Across the street from Embarcadero Hall, you’ll find an eatery that offers a variety of sandwiches at affordable prices. With both an inside and outside dining area, televisions and great food, Javan’s is the place to go for a meal and conversation with friends. If you’re in a hurry, you’ll love the quick service so you can sack your sandwich to go.

With so many options on its menu, from tasty albacore tuna to burgers and fries, you might find yourself in quite the pickle. Owner Sam Javan said he recommends the chicken club.

“The most popular is the chicken club,” Javan said. “It’s fresh bacon, fresh avocado – everything is fresh.”

The eatery also features the specialty Philly Burger. This hearty quarter-pound burger comes topped with avocado, bacon, lettuce, tomato, pickle, onion and cream cheese for that little something extra. The Philly Jack, also a favorite, includes mushrooms sautéed to perfection and roast beef.

Javan said the main draw of the eatery, besides its convenient location, is the great taste of the menu items at prices that won’t leave your wallet toasted.

“The price and quality – no one can match it,” Javan said. “We have better quality and quantity with a lower price. That’s why people come here.”

So the next time you’re looking to satisfy your sandwich fix, check out Javan’s, which is open Monday through Sunday from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Always the Perfect Pickle
Mr. Pickle’s Sandwich Shop
6545 Pardall Rd.
(805) 562-8700
Price: Under $10

Take a drive up the 101 to the Bay Area and you’ll find yourself immersed in culture and the wonderful tastes of Northern California, but if you don’t feel like driving for four and a half hours for a satisfying sandwich, head over to the San Francisco-based Mr. Pickle’s Sandwich Shop. According to owner Sean O’Ran, the taste from our California brethren from the North draws many students to the restaurant.

“It’s Northern California-based,” O’Ran said. “So it’s a different kind of taste than most people here are used to.”

O’Ran also said the Bay Area-based eatery also brings in ingredients from the upper part of the Golden State to add that extra bit of flavor.

“We have quality bread from San Francisco and our sauces are unique,” he said.

One of the different tastes that customers come for is no other than the Mr. Pickle itself. The titular sandwich consists of chicken breasts, melted jack cheese, bacon and avocado. Some other crowd pleasers are the Hang Loose sandwich, which boasts hot pastrami, bacon, cream cheese and avocado, and the Hot ‘T’ Sandwich provides a delight to the senses with its turkey, melted pepper jack cheese, cranberry sauce and Baja sauce. If you feel the need to spice up any of Mr. Pickle’s savory sandwiches, you can add the eatery’s specialty spicy ranch PHAT sauce to any dish.

According to O’Ran, the establishment’s inviting atmosphere is the product of its service and staff.

“It’s good food and friendly customer service,” he said. “The customers are all students.”

Even if you’ve already experienced the mouthwatering blend of tastes at Mr. Pickle’s, keep an eye on the restaurant, because after Thanksgiving break, it’s coming out with a new menu that features three brand-new sandwiches and will also start selling Mr. Pickle’s shirts.

Mr. Pickle’s Sandwich Shop is here to get you out of your sandwich pickle Monday through Thursday from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m., Friday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. and on Sundays from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Something Familiar
DejaVu Cafe
966 B Embarcadero del Mar
(806) 968-8888
Price: Under $10

Remember your Scooby Doo lunch pail and thermos, and the cute little sandwich your mom packed for you lovingly in the morning before you left for school? Ahh… the memories. They may warm your heart, but when your tummy needs warming here, make sure to remember DejaVu Cafe.

The menu consists of a plethora of items including the Cajun Chicken with Avocado sandwich, which includes chicken, cheese, avocado, lettuce, tomatoes, onions and mayonnaise. Turkey, Cheese & Avocado sandwich serves up a healthy dose of turkey, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, mustard, mayonnaise and avocado. The Philly Cheese Steak sandwich fries up a heart-pounding delight of steak, cheese, bell peppers, mushrooms, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, mayonnaise and mustard.

Owner John Jamali said the expansive menu offers something for everyone.

“[Students] should come because of the variety of food that we have,” Jamali said.

For those of you more into the midday meal, check out DejaVu Cafe’s lunch special, where you can get any sandwich with fries and a soda for $7.35. If you’re more adventurous in your potato tastes, you can substitute your fries for wedge-cut, curly, cheese or chili cheese fries for a little extra money.

DejaVu Cafe also gives students a great choice for those late-night cravings, and you don’t even have to leave your room with its delivery service, Jamali said.

“We deliver from 11 a.m. to 2 a.m. every day,” he said.

DejaVu Cafe is conveniently located in I.V. and open to keep you from experiencing déjà vu hunger pains every day from 11 a.m. to 2 a.m.

Whether you want your sandwich toasted with the works or long for the simplicity of a grilled cheese, these local eateries will satisfy any potential cravings.