The UCSB men’s track and field team relished victory again on its home track, defeating visiting Cal Poly 108-94 to secure its first undefeated regular season in program history, while the Mustang women got the better of Santa Barbara in their 107-96 win.

Highlighting the men’s victory was senior Mike Chavez, who broke the school record in the 1500 meter by three seconds with a time of 3:43.80. The time was one of the top 20 in the NCAA this season as well as one of 15 NCAA Regional Qualifying Marks set by Santa Barbara’s two teams on the day. Junior Mike Powers and senior Micah Tyhurst added to the Gaucho success by placing first and second in the steeple.

The UCSB men were just as impressive in the field as the squad swept both the shot put and hammer events. All three participants in the shot put had qualifying marks and junior Scott Anderson picked up the victory with his toss of 56′ 8.25″. Junior Nick Sheuerman took the top spot in discus in reaching a personal best 148′ 1″.

Despite the loss, several members of the Gaucho women’s team had stellar individual performance. Seniors Amy Haapanen and Heather Quinn dominated the throws, finished 1-2 in the shot put hammer and discus while combining for six NCAA Regional Qualifying Marks. Santa Barbara tallied three victories on the track, including junior Bethany Nickless’ 35-second win in the 3000 steeplechase. Senior distance runner Hadas Moser and junior Kerry Gamble rounded out the UCSB victories with wins in the 3000 and 400 meter races.