Swift kicks, short sprints and goals galore mesmerized fans and players in this weekend’s fight for fraternity and sorority bragging rights at Alpha Epsilon Pi’s fourth annual soccer tournament.

AEPi’s soccer tournament brought sororities and fraternities from as far away as Berkeley and UCLA to Storke field on Saturday and Sunday to compete against UCSB’s own Greeks. AEPi even enlisted members of the UCSB men’s championship soccer team to referee the game and ensure fairness.

Jeremy Moskowitz, AEPi’s philanthropy chair, helped coordinate the tournament, which he said was perfect for a fraternity house full of soccer fans. Besides satisfying the fraternity’s soccer hooligans, the event raised approximately $1,000 for charity this year, said Moskowitz, a fourth-year political science major. All proceeds from T-shirt sales were donated to the Jack Campbell Chicken Soup fund, which provides money to undergraduate students who cannot afford medical treatment.

By Sunday afternoon the tournament had dwindled down to four competitors: Pi Phi battled UCLA’s Alpha Phi for the women’s title, and Sigma Epsilon played UCLA’s Sigma Alpha Epsilon for the men’s championship.

After long, hard-fought bouts, UCSB’s women came out on top, but UCLA had its revenge, winning the men’s tournament.

Even though UCLA took one title, the event was very successful, coordinators said. Natasha Grant, a first-year communication major and member of Delta Gamma, said the tournament ended up being a great opportunity to have fun for a good cause.

“It’s fun being active in helping the community and supporting my team,” Grant said.

The tournament drew large crowds of supporters, who braved the gusts of wind to cheer on their respective sororities and fraternities. Kathryn Metz, a fourth-year biopsychology major and member of Delta Delta Delta, said she was excited to see the whole Greek community out together, especially since this was her last tournament.

“I wanted to support the girls because they’ve been practicing for a long time. This is my fourth time coming out here so it’s bittersweet,” Metz said.

Evan Patterson, a member of the UCSB men’s soccer team and a fourth-year electrical engineering and math major, said he was happy that the team could help draw a bigger crowd for the tournament. Patterson said he enjoyed the games, even though he was on the sidelines.

“I came out to help and watch everyone play. It is interesting to help draw out more of a crowd,” Patterson said.