As part of its preparation for the upcoming special election on Nov. 8, Campus Democrats will host visits from Congresswoman Lois Capps and 35th District Assemblyman Pedro Nava in the upcoming week.

Campus Dems invited Nava and Capps to its meeting so that the politicians could hear students’ concerns about the propositions on the special election ballot, Campus Democrats President Ben Sheldon-Tarzynski said. Nava will speak in the Graduate Student Association (GSA) lounge, on the second floor of the MultiCultural Center tonight at 8 p.m. and Capps will speak in the GSA lounge next Tuesday at 8 p.m.

Nava, who was elected to office last November, said he will give audience members an overview of current legislation being discussed at the state capitol and will also allow time for a group discussion afterward.

“I am coming in large part because it’s important to talk about what’s going on in Sacramento and hear what the constituents have to say,” Nava said.

The upcoming special election contains eight statewide propositions on the ballot. If passed, Proposition 73 would require minors to have parental consent before having an abortion. Proposition 74 would lengthen the period public school teachers would have to wait in order to receive permanent status at a given school and Proposition 75 would require workers’ unions to ask for member consent before using money from their dues for political campaigns.

In addition, Proposition 76 would give substantial new power to the governor to limit state spending, including on school funding. Proposition 77 would hand the power to change electorate district boundaries from the state legislature to three retired judges, who would be selected by legislative leaders. Propositions 78 and 79 both seek to reduce the cost that certain residents of the state would pay for prescription drugs while Proposition 80 would regulate electric service providers.

Nava said he only supports Propositionss 79 and 80. He said he thinks Proposition 79 will ensure that Californian families get reliable sources for medical and pharmaceutical services and said Proposition 80 calls for better management of California’s energy supply.

“The remaining props are very problematic to most Californians,” Nava said.

Prop 76 can cause “instability to California,” Nava said, because the governor would be able to change the California state budget more so than ever before.

Sheldon-Tarzynski said he and many members of Campus Democrats share the same opinions as Nava regarding the propositions on next month’s ballot. For example, he said the organization and Nava do not support Proposition 75, as it directly affects UCSB students.

“The Prop. has a main effect on college students because we have public employee unions at this school,” Sheldon-Tarzynski said.

Nava said he takes student opinions seriously.

“They tend to be better educated and spend more time learning about the issues,” Nava said. “I expect to be inspired by the enthusiasm for civic participation.”