The Isla Vista Foot Patrol (IVFP) and the UC Police Dept. (UCPD) made several arrests this past weekend as students returned en masse to the campus and I.V.

Over the weekend, one man was arrested for grand theft auto, and IVFP Lt. Sol Linver said another man was allegedly stabbed in an incident still under investigation. Other arrests and citations included those related to driving while under the influence of alcohol (DUI), marijuana possession, violating curfew, minors in possession of alcohol, public drunkenness and urinating in public, but police officials said the weekend was, for the most part, an uneventful start to the school year for law enforcement.

Linver said a man was allegedly stabbed in the arm on the 6700 block of Pasado Road at 3:30 a.m. Sunday. The man was taken to the Goleta Valley Cottage Hospital and did not sustain any life-threatening injuries. Sgt. Steve Johnson of the IVFP said the police are still investigating the matter and could not say whether the man was a student from UCSB or Santa Barbara City College.

“We’re still developing the case and looking at suspects,” Johnson said. “We’re conducting several witness interviews.”

UCPD Officer Mark Signa said officers arrested 32-year-old Steve Lopez near UCSB’s Family Student Housing for allegedly stealing a vehicle from the Hughes’ Chevrolet dealership last Friday at 4 p.m. Signa said Lopez was a former employee of the dealership.

As for alcohol violations, deputies arrested about seven people for public intoxication on Friday and approximately nine on Saturday, Johnson said. Deputies also handed out more than 10 citations to minors in possession of alcohol and arrested five individuals for urinating in public.

The UCPD officers arrested two UCSB students for public intoxication over the weekend and arrested a 19-year-old man for urinating in public. The arrests occurred around the time of the Associated Students Program Board-sponsored Sugarcult concert Saturday night, Signa said.

In addition, Signa said the UCPD made two DUI arrests on Friday morning. Officers arrested an 18-year-old UCSB student driving on Abrego Road at 2 a.m., as well as a 24-year-old man on Mesa Road.

Signa said there were a few more citations over the weekend than last year, but overall the UCPD did not have too many problems over the weekend.

“There were a few more marijuana citations than last year, but other than that it was a calm start of the school year,” Signa said. “None of the UCPD officers worked overtime.”

UCPD officers also issued five citations for possession of marijuana, four of which were given to high school students from the Thousand Oaks area, Signa said. The students were smoking marijuana in a UCSB parking lot on Saturday at 1 p.m. Officers also cited three of the students for violating the Santa Barbara County 10 p.m. curfew. The fifth marijuana citation was given to a UCSB student and Anacapa Residence Hall resident who was smoking in UCSB Lot 6 at 2:30 a.m. on Sunday.

Johnson said IVFP deputies cited one person for possession of marijuana on Friday and two on Saturday.

With the exception of the stabbing on Pasado, Johnson said no other major crimes occurred over the weekend. Considering the heavy foot traffic that I.V. experienced, he said, the weekend was relatively peaceful from a law enforcement standpoint.

“There were no major fights,” Johnson said. “There were a few arguments that escalated, but they were quickly stopped before there was any physical harm. It seemed like there were a great amount of students out on Friday, but less on Saturday. The number of arrests were similar to last year’s.”