For once, partying with the police didn’t end with an embarrassing urination in public ticket and the long, dark ride to the sobriety tank.

Associated Students Legislative Council and Phi Sigma Kappa invited officers from the UC Police Dept. and Isla Vista Foot Patrol to the “Party with the Police,” where they answered questions in an open forum that drew 35 to 40 people to the Phi Sigma fraternity house from 6 to 8 p.m. on Friday. The fraternity then hosted the Los Angeles-based band Aviatic at 10 p.m., which attracted over 300 people to the party until the fraternity had to turn people away because of the house’s legal capacity. Police officers were invited to return to the house as the night went on to check on the party.

Jeff Hule, a third-year business and economics major and president of Phi Sigma Kappa, said the goal was to help inform I.V. residents of laws relating to parties in the area and to facilitate greater cohesion between the community and the police.

“What we wanted to do is to show how to throw a legal party,” Hule said. “If we open up channels for communication, our whole community will be better off.”

Every person attending the party was required to sign in and show a valid ID, Hule said. Those over 21 were provided alcohol and underage partiers had their hands stamped, he said.

Event organizer Jason Everitt said the party cost $681.36, and was sponsored by the vice chancellor’s office, the A.S. external vice president of local affairs, A.S Leg Council and Phi Sigma Kappa.

UCPD Officer Mark Signa said party organizers should check people’s ages before admitting them. Once they are in, hosts should ensure their safety by not letting them leave drunk. He said most problems occur when people become intoxicated and go out in the street and cause a disturbance. Taking such steps keeps people both safe and away from possible citations or arrests, he said. In addition, party hosts should be wary of violating noise ordinances. By following these guidelines, police will not interrupt a party, Signa said.

“The main goal is not to shut down parties,” he said. “The more we can talk to people and provide them information makes our job easier.”

Hule said the idea for the party has been in progress since Fall Quarter, when resentment over the Fall Offensive – a push by local police to control underage drinking – contributed to the need for an open forum for the police.

Elliot Edgemon, a second-year communication major and member of Phi Sigma Kappa, said the open forum provided needed information on police enforcement.

“I thought it was pretty informative,” he said. “A lot of times, you don’t get one-on-one contact with the police. There is so much animosity and confusion with police enforcement.”

Signa said one of the benefits of an open forum is that people attending can go out and inform those who are afraid to ask questions. In addition to the forum, IVFP repeatedly left and returned to the party to answer any questions and to make sure everything was in compliance with the law.

“In the end, we want everyone to have a good time – but to do it safely,” said Deputy Sheriff Rob Lacey.