In response to the column titled “The Romance of Republicans,” (Daily Nexus, Feb. 14) by Neil Visalvanich, I must object. Yet contrary to before, I must indulge myself this time and not get too heated and instead form a rhyme. To say the least, my dear liberal friend, you’ve raised the political bar once again. I read these words that you oh-so-eloquently have written and I feel that conservatives have brutally been smitten by the hand of a liberal who just thinks we buy the overpriced items that our government raised to the sky.

Yes, it is true that our economy is blue, and yes, I can say that we have paid dearly for the actions of our military. But aren’t you wary of people like Al Franken, who clearly are mistaken in their political perspective? Can’t we be protective of the values that we’re given and not always listen to the latest American liberals who couldn’t be less credible?

Do you seriously make sure that you buy the right car? Does boycotting SUVs neglect the war from afar? I suppose all these questions you’ve just brushed aside and now you’re back on word-skinning my hide. This I can take, for I have no regrets: what you see is simply what you get. What I don’t understand is how you make claims regarding American pride and your liberal disdain for the everyday consumer that walks our streets; once again, you’ve tripped over your own feet. You go to the store and you buy all the things that you’re writing about, so how can you cringe when a Republican does the same? I feel it’s a shame when hypocrisy is noted by a man who just voted for a candidate like John Kerry, the epitome of what’s scary in the world of politics.

You say that our country is moving back in time when we viewed hand jobs just like every kind of crime. We haven’t regressed in that sense; that’s just stupid to write in a newspaper that’s read where a degree is in sight. What exactly are you asking for, my liberal antagonist from the Nexus? You can’t always have the sugary cereal when your mom puts out your breakfast.

As a Republican, I can see the bigger picture and it’s pleasant, a far cry from Democrats stuck in their political convalescence, who question daily our country’s thoughts and beliefs and think our president is a liar and a thief. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: A person who does this is not our country’s friend. This is not to say that we can’t question our government, but it’s a belief of mine that we accept their covenant to safely trek through the Middle East, ridding the world of terrorists who feast on everyone not on their side, for it’s not in our best interest to abide by their rules of fear. Remember that opinions adhere with personal interests in mind, so it’s just not Republicans who selfishly confine themselves to particular political plans because this is done by both conservative and liberal hands alike.

Lastly, I’d like to discuss the national debt, which, no doubt, is due to inept politicians that spent money like it was candy when everything was just fine and dandy. This horrible situation needs to be addressed, but how can someone like you attest to a claim like a “credit card war”? There’s quite simply more to it, which I know that you see. For example, let’s use our Social Security. In World War II, with our nation in need, FDR accepted a plan that could ultimately feed our army’s supplies. I trust you read this with your own eyes. How did that work out, my Democrat-loving friend?

Did you not address this same topic, but fail to defend the political side that started it all? You calmly stated that it will not fall, that it’s not a crisis that needs our attention. Failing to listen to truth brings detention, so please watch your words. They’ve remained quite absurd in the eyes of smart people who don’t always listen to others. Maybe next time you should actually listen to your mother.

Chris Rice is a senior English major.