In grade school I broke my wrist playing tag.

Tripping in a game these days doesn’t result in broken bones; it results in a broken heart — unless, of course, you’re a member of the UCSB men’s basketball team. In that case, playing games results in physical injury.

But the games we so often play don’t nearly compare to tag, basketball or even Sorry! — my favorite board game. The thrill of a chase or the fun of flirtation makes the possibility of a fabulous relationship at the buzzer seem that much more meaningful.

Let’s be honest here, no one wants to seem desperate.

Everyone knows the classic “wait three days before calling” rule. Calling the next day to let a potentially great guy know you enjoyed his company may ultimately be perceived as too forward, desperate or, worst of all, clingy.

I’m an independent girl and I definitely don’t need a guy in my life to make it more fulfilling or happy. Maybe that’s why the idea of playing games is so appealing. If I lose, it’s not the end of the world, but the possibility of scoring a great boyfriend makes it all worthwhile.

While I try to make a point of letting that cool anthropology major I met know I’m interested, I’m not going to write in the sky with stars, “Hey genius, I like you!”

Boys are stupid. Edit: many boys are stupid. Whether they realize it or not, guys are just as active players in a game of hard-to-get as girls are. If they don’t call or tell a girl what they’re thinking, even if they are interested in her, she’ll perceive it as rejection.

A skilled game player holds the key to any relationship. If you’re good at playing the game, you’re guaranteed to win. Just the right amount of interest can turn a heart-stopping first kiss into the best, and possibly only, relationship in I.V.

That, or you’ll get cut.

Daily Nexus sports editor Lauren Creamer makes herself run suicides if she breaks the three-day rule.