Thursday 5/29

Kurosawa paved the path for Japanese filmmakers into Western culture with his breakthrough masterpieces, one of which screens tonight in Campbell Hall. His adaptation of Shakespeare’s Macbeth, 1957’s “Throne of Blood,” will show at 7:30 p.m. for $5. For info, call 893-3535. “Singled Out” is no longer just a game show, especially when you’re arrested with three years in jail hanging over your head. Speak Out! is a benefit concert to raise money for Corey Sanchez’s defense after being arrested when participating in a peace march downtown. Bands like Ambionic, Peyote Surf Trip, and Rey will perform. The show is from 8 p.m. to midnight in the UCen Hub and costs $7.

Friday 5/30

Need your fix of Jim Morrison-esque, classic rock? Well, there’s a new incarnation around these parts and they go by the name of “Budge.” They’ve all got great hair, too. Check them out as they perform tonight alongside all-femme rock chicks Titsofrenix at Velvet Jones. Starts at 9. Don’t forget that you’ve gotta be 21 to make it. Call 965-8676 for more info. It only takes a prick of a spindle to cast a deep sleep, but it takes more than smelling salts to awaken. The love story “Sleeping Beauty” will be performed by the Santa Barbara Chamber Ballet tonight at 7 in the Lobero Theatre. Tickets are $12. For info, call 966-4946.

Saturday 5/31

The fight to save The Living Room rages on! Though the old space out by the airport is but a distant memory, The Living Room is sponsoring the fifth annual Battle of the Bands taking place today at the Goleta Boys and Girls Club. Come down to 5701 Hollister Ave. to see local high school bands from all around the 805 hash it out and eventually be declared the victor. The show starts at noon runs ’til midnight. Visit www.sb.net/livingroom for more info. Also tonight, Velvet Jones plays host to more than just drunken debauchery by holding a benefit show for the Santa Barbara Rape Crisis Center. Bands like the Black Plastics will titillate and sport even better hair than last night’s bands. You heard us right. Show starts at 9. 21+.

Sunday 6/1

If he can please Hugh Hefner and the bunnies, then Campbell Hall is truly in for a treat. Best known for his annual programs at the Playboy Jazz Festival, film archivist and historian Mark Cantor will present an afternoon of jazz film footage rarely seen before. Dinah Washington, Louis Armstrong, Charlie Parker and others will grace the screen at 3 p.m. Tickets are $8. Call 893-3535 for info. What’s that you say? More jazz? Then head across campus to Lotte Lehmann Concert Hall for the UCSB Jazz Ensemble’s performance at 8 p.m. The concert will feature arrangements such as “Cruisin’ for a Bluisin'” and “Angel Eyes.” Tix are $7. Call 893-3230 for info.

Monday 6/2-Tuesday 6/3

From master draftsman to distinguished abstractionist, Channing Peake made his mark over a period of six decades in the art industry. The Maienza Wilson Gallery in downtown SB will celebrate his artistic evolution in its exhibit “A Retrospective; Six Decades of Works on Paper” through the end of August. Call 966-5010 for info. Flipping the couch cushion to hide that anonymous stain isn’t the first time hygiene and home dŽcor have intersected. Starting back in 1928, early 20th century modernist architects began reconfiguring bathrooms and kitchens to conform to new notions of health and hygiene associated with cultural taboos. Visit UCSB’s University Art Museum to view the “Aesthetics of Hygiene” exhibit on display. Call 893-2951 for hours and info.

Wednesday 6/4

What’s that? You want spiky hair, mildly menacing tattoos and clownish face makeup? Then head down to the Santa Barbara Bowl and revel in delight! Pop-punkers New Found Glory, Good Charlotte and MxPx, will be dishin’ it out tonight at 6. Tickets are $29.25. For info, call 962-7411. Raise your spirits, because the UCSB Symphony Orchestra presents a respectful yet lighthearted selection of music written by, for and about space, the heavens and heavenly bodies tonight at 8. It will be held in LLCH and is directed and conducted by Jeffrey Schindler. Tickets cost $7. Call 893-3230 for info.