So you think you know everything there is to know about alcohol, drugs and partying, right? Wrong. There are a lot of misconceptions about drinking floating around these days that could potentially get you into a lot of trouble. Here are a few common myths about drinking to get you thinking:

Myth #1:Beer is less intoxicating than other alcoholic beverages.

Fact: One 12-ounce can of beer, one 4-ounce glass of wine and a 1-ounce shot of hard liquor are equally intoxicating.

Myth #2: Switching between beer, wine and liquor will make you drunker than sticking to one type of alcohol.

Fact: No, alcohol is alcohol.

Myth #3: Cold showers, fresh air or hot coffee help sober a person.

Fact: Time is the only cure. It takes the body about one hour to eliminate each drink – 12 ounces of beer, 4 ounces of wine or 1 ounce of liquor. Give a drowsy drunk a cup of coffee and all you do is create a wide-awake drunk.

Myth #4: Eating a big meal before you drink will keep you sober.

Fact: Food in the stomach merely delays the absorption of alcohol into the bloodstream. A full stomach is not a defense against heavy drinking. Besides, why are you trying to “keep sober” to “go drinking” anyway?

Myth #5: Everyone reacts to alcohol in the same way.

Fact: There are dozens of factors that affect reaction to alcohol – body weight, time of day, body chemistry, etc.

In short, there is a lot of misinformation floating around, and you owe it to yourself and your health to find out the facts before you get hurt. For more information on alcohol, drugs and stress, I recommend an awesome class, Sociology 91B, which answers all your questions about these matters and more. I am a member of Students Teaching Alcohol and other drug Responsibility, which promotes moderate drinking for those who choose to use and offers support for those who abstain. S.T.A.R. is holding its annual Safe Graduation event Thursday, May 29, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in front of Storke Plaza. Come learn some new stuff, win some prizes, see fire trucks and CHP cars, and watch ROTC repel from Storke Tower. See you there!