Your exercise may be able to benefit someone else’s health also.

The Channel Islands Chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society is looking for volunteers to assist with its 14th annual MS Walk and Run.

The event, which will benefit local programs and research, will be held Saturday, April 5 at Leadbetter Beach in Santa Barbara. MS Walk and Run events will also be held in San Luis Obispo, Simi Valley and Ventura on this date. Volunteers at each location are needed to register walkers and runners, host rest stops, serve lunch and mark the route.

The organization is striving to continue the success of previous MS Walk and Run activities in getting the entire community involved.

“It’s for families, corporations, people with MS – it’s really for everyone,” said Lisa Northrop, community development coordinator for the Channel Islands Chapter of the National MS Society.

The event also serves as a fundraiser for the organization, generating over $130,000 in donations last year alone. Funds raised at the event are used to support MS programs in the tri-county area, such as yoga classes, support groups and educational endeavors, in addition to research conducted by the National MS Society.

MS is a chronic, intermittent neurological disease that affects the central nervous system. Symptoms include abnormal fatigue, severe vision problems, loss of coordination, slurred speech and, in severe cases, paralysis. There are approximately 400,000 Americans suffering from MS.

Since 1989, the organization has put on the MS Walk and Run to raise funds, create awareness and bring the community together. Volunteers have been essential to the event’s success throughout its history. All volunteers will receive a free event T-shirt and lunch. Beyond that, Northrop said she hopes the participants can enjoy the more intangible qualities of the activity.

“The MS Walk and Run is a great event. It’s a lot of fun, and it is also helping in the fight against MS,” she said.

Interested parties should contact the Channel Islands Chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society by phone at 800-FIGHT MS or by e-mail at cat@nmss.org.