How to lose a guy in 10 days. Hmmm…more like how to be a raving lunatic, but – granted you look like Kate Hudson and put tampons in your man’s closet – totally get away with it. Does she lose the guy in 10 days? Well, making an educated guess on the delightful predictability of modern romantic comedies, you be the judge of that.

In “How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days,” Andie Anderson (Kate Hudson) is a tenacious and determined journalist for the women’s fashion magazine Composure. It’s a wee bit of a stretch to see Hudson in this role, but she gratuitously flashes her pearly whites and ends up as mostly convincing. Anderson claims to want to cover politics, religion and stuff (that’s verbatim), more so than the usual magazine gamut of Jimmy Choos and G spots. Her solution? She decides to cover a story about hooking a hunk, while engaging in all the stereotypical pitfalls women fall prey to in relationships. Meanwhile, Benjamin Barry (Matthew McConaughey) is a haughty New York advertising representative eager to secure a new diamond offer. When Barry’s boss wagers the diamond account on whether Barry can make a girl fall in love with him in 10 days, he’s in. Barry’s conspiring co-workers pick out Andie, of all women, as the not-so-innocent target and, after meeting at a party, the simultaneous con artists hook up and the games begin.

Generally, this film is what one would expect from the typical boy finds girl, gets girl, loses girl and gets girl genre. It would be a stretch to use phrases like, “life-changing” or “intellectually challenging,” though props are given to the film’s dog, Crawl. The critter urinates on the pool table on command, and lives up to the role of the token romantic comedy pooch. Other than the dog, the acting failed to measure up to even romantic cheeseball standards. Memories of classics like “Sleepless in Seattle” feel eons ago after seeing this film. Most likely, this film will fall in the within-six-months-no-one-will-ever-remember-it category. Still, salvageable moments exist, like when Anderson composites both her and Barry’s faces, then makes a photo album of their future children and family vacations to Hawaii.

Honestly, this film makes a worthy post-midterm laugh as mindless self-indulgence. It never ventures anywhere below the surface, but that’s not what the movie’s for anyway. With Valentine’s Day looming around the corner, romantic comedies love to pop their pretty little faces up this time of the year. Just wake me up when the pup, Crawl, stars in his next feature film… or Matthew McConaughey learns to urinate on command.