The area near Robertson Gym began a major facelift on Friday that included the partial destruction of the building known as the “Dance Tent.”

Along with the eventual destruction of the Dance Building, five trailers were removed, one of which was used by the Surfrider Foundation and two that were used as day care centers. Building 455, located behind the Dance Building, was also destroyed.

The Dance Building was mainly used by the Santa Barbara Dance Theater and the Middle Eastern Dance Ensemble. Amy Runjavac, the Dance Dept.’s undergraduate adviser, said the construction project would benefit the dance program because a new Dance Building will be constructed. “Ultimately I think it’s going to be better for us,” she said.

Director of Facilities Management Jack Wolever said a time has not been set for the building’s construction.

The site will eventually house the Intercollegiate Athletics Building. Once the site is cleared of the old buildings, construction will begin on the new multimillion-dollar athletics building that is scheduled to open August 2004.

The building will include training and weight rooms, a computer lab, a study hall and offices for coaches of various sports programs.

According to Martie Levy, director of capital development, the total cost of the project will be approximately $15 million. Funding for the project comes from a student lock-in fee of $29.56, which passed in Spring 2001. The lock-in fee will increase to $39.56 beginning in Fall 2005.

The university is still using two of the trailers. Project Superintendent Jon R. Dettmering said the others would be discarded. “If some charitable cause wants them, they are more than welcome to have them,” he said.