Boom Bip’s somberly successful “Seed to Sun” projects a range of emotions, some unsure of themselves and others standing out as being among the best experimental hip hop beats of the year.

Some acne-ridden, antisocial beats include the very misleading opener, “Roads Will Roll,” as well as “The Unthinkable,” which features the usually enlightening Buck 65. This cut doesn’t seem to fit anywhere on the primarily instrumental album.

Emerging as mature and confident is “Mannequin Hand Trapdoor I Reminder,” with its intoxicating bass line more or less sung by theatrical guest Dose One, whose vocals mesh well with the abstractness. “Closed Shoulders” is the contemplative, space-age beat comprised of filtered hip hop samples and distorted drums. Both gems appear on the first vinyl single. DJs rejoice.

Approaching the end of the album, the quick but pleasant “Me: The New You” unexpectedly sets up one of the most versatile tracks I have ever heard, “The Use of Unacceptable Colors In Nature.” I can picture a hip hop head witnessing the birth of a child and the burial of his grandfather on the same day – all while listening to this track. It’s what I call “life music,” and is overflowing with beauty.

Boom Bip even crosses over to indie rock land with guitar loops and an aura of sadness in “Last Walk Around Mirror Lake.” An interesting hidden track attaches itself to the end to close out this work of auditory art. It is rare for any album to become fuller and better as it progresses, but that is exactly what “Seed to Sun” accomplishes.

[Mr. Bell would gladly be a human shield… but only if the Prez stood next to him…]