Three top administrators from the Office of the Executive Vice Chancellor and the Office of Academic Personnel are leaving their positions in July. Together, the two offices oversee academic affairs for all the colleges and academic personnel, including employment and tenure.

Executive Vice Chancellor Ilene Nagel’s resignation on June 17 comes more than a month after the end of a joint UC-UCSB investigation looking at phone interference within the offices of the EVC and Academic Personnel. The investigation ended in early May and found that four of the 18 telephones in Academic Personnel and the EVC’s office were programmed for a feature known as “barge-in,” which can allow a user to access a telephone conversation without visual or audible alerts.

The audit could not prove if these phone system capabilities were used or misused to listen to private conversations due to a lack of telephone system’s records and differences in testimony.

Nagel will resume a new position as senior adviser to C. Judson King, the provost and senior vice president, within the University Office of the President on July 1. Nagel will be the first and only person to hold the position. She will serve for a three-year appointment as an adviser to King, who chairs the committee of executive chancellors, which Nagel formerly sat on as EVC.

The Board of Regents will pay Nagel $130,000 by June 29, and release her from “allegations that are the subject of the ‘Audit Investigations Into Allegations Concerning UCSB Executive Vice Chancellor’s Information Privacy and Security'” as part of the agreement between Nagel and the University. The regents must also provide legal defense for Nagel should any additional grievances or lawsuits be filed against her that result from her term as EVC at UCSB.

This agreement will stand, even if additional facts or knowledge related to the agreement should arise.

Nagel will retain her current annual salary rate and benefits in her new position and is allowed one year of paid vacation during her term. She will work in Santa Barbara or in her office in Ellison Hall and will be provided with travel funds from the University and one half-time person serving as staff support on an “as needed” basis as part of the appointment.

“I agreed not to file suit,” she said. “I agreed to this settlement. I thought this decision was in the best interest of the University.”

Associate Vice Chancellors for Academic Personnel Stanley Awramik and Cynthia Brown are also leaving their positions in July, though they could not be reached for comment.

The EVC’s office oversees a $263 million budget, 760 full-time faculty and 50 academic departments. Chancellor Yang said he will consult with the deans, provosts, vice chancellors and appropriate committees from Academic Senate to appoint a new acting EVC and acting vice-chancellor.

“In an institution as large and complex as UCSB, things are always changing,” he said in a statement. “Although we are in a period of transition, UCSB has a strong and solid foundation. The campus can have confidence that we will move ahead quickly and efficiently in the spirit of cooperation.”

Nagel said the new position is not “enormously different” from EVC except she will use her four years of experience to work on individual and multi-campus initiatives such as advising campuses that want to start a law school, or working on projects related to the California NanoSystems Institute.

During the investigation, five university-owned computers were seized after Nagel became concerned about the security of computer communications. The audit found no indication of unauthorized access.

UC and UCSB administrators are still continuing a review that will look at the actions taken involving the computers and whether or not policy was followed said Meta Clow, campus policy and records management coordinator.