Researchers Looking for InvolvementIn the late ’40s, a Canadian scholar named John Humphrey worked with Eleanor Roosevelt to collect information on human rights in different countries and eventually wrote a draft of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.Members of a global studies research group are working to update his work and held an open house Friday evening at 5:30 in the Faculty Club for students and faculty who want to get involved. Political Science Professor Kirk Boyd, a visiting alumnus, is working with several students and faculty members on the 4-year-old project and has outlined 31 human rights, which range from healthcare to citizenship to environment.”These are rights that have been accepted in many countries throughout the world, and new constitutions are including these rights,” Boyd said in an interview last May, “But the United States has yet to include these rights, especially the right to education.”The researchers are looking at present and past bills of rights for all countries to look for similarities. They are also collecting information to find if a consensus on human rights exists.”I see [the declaration] as a very realistic way to achieving peaceful existence,” said Maya Rupert, a junior political science and philosophy major who has worked on the project for the past three years. “The way things are going, I see it as a way to attain peace without fighting for it.”More information and ways to get involved can be found at .UCSB Professors Chosen to be Guggenheim FellowsTwo UCSB professors were selected out of a pool of 2,845 applicants to receive the very distinguished Guggenheim Fellowships on April 15, which are awarded based on impressive achievement and a promise of exceptional future accomplishment.Geological Science Professor David Lea and Takashima Professor of Japanese Cultural Studies John Nathan are the recipients of the award, which is meant to free up time for Fellows and allow them to work without restraint on creative freedom.Lea will use his award, around $37,000, to continue studying the affects of carbon dioxide on climate changes.”By establishing the relationship between climate variations associated with the Ice Age cycles, it should be possible to better predict the extent of global warming in response to rising carbon dioxide levels in our present-day atmosphere,” he said.Nathan is well known for observing Japanese culture and translating for Japanese novelist Kenzaburo Oe. He will use his award to work on a new book while on sabbatical.”John is internationally recognized as a translator, a filmmaker and an astute observer of Japanese culture,” said David Marshall, Dean of Humanities and Fine Arts at UCSB. “I’m very pleased, but not at all surprised, that he has received one of the most prestigious fellowships available to scholars in the humanities.”Comic Film to be Shot at UC LabHollywood director Ang Lee’s next movie, The Incredible Hulk, will be filmed at the University of California’s Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. This will be the first film to be shot at the lab. The Hulk will star Jennifer Connelly, Nick Nolte and Sam Elliot.The portion of the lab used for filming will be the Advanced Light Source, which accelerates electrons to near light speed, finally crashing them into targets, which emits unique radiation signatures that scientists study.-compiled by Josh Braun and Sarah Healy