Representatives of an undergraduate engineering journal at UC Berkeley are looking to UCSB as a possible satellite office and contributor for their quarterly publication.

The staff of California Engineer (CalEng) met with five UCSB students in the Engineering pavilion on Wednesday night to inform them about a possible extension to UCSB. CalEng has a circulation of over 8,000 and focuses exclusively on the written submissions of undergraduate engineering students conducting research.

Fifty staff members currently oversee the publication of CalEng, which was established in 1922. Berkeley sophomore engineering student Raman Gulati said the journal provides undergraduates with the rare opportunity to be published.

“Most of the people who are getting published elsewhere are graduate, upper level people, so it’s nice to let the undergraduates know that they too can get published,” he said.

CalEng was one of Berkeley’s original periodicals, printed on campus and distributed UC-wide. It published submissions from satellite offices on each of the nine UC campuses, but in the last decade, financial setbacks left limited participation to Berkeley.

CalEng marketing manager Vibhav Mittal said engineering publications often overlook cutting-edge undergraduate research. CalEng was created to recognize these projects.

UC Irvine has already formed a satellite office with a faculty advisor using Berkeley’s model; UCSD and UCLA are in the beginning stages.

The CalEng producers want to increase the variety of published material by increasing the number of submissions. Editor in Chief Patti Wang said that expanding the journal to all UC campuses would not only increase its quality, but also help students to learn about undergraduate research statewide.

“We work essentially off submissions and the quality of our content is raised when we can be more selective in what we publish,” she said. “By tapping into student and faculty resources, it enables us to know what is happening in terms of ground-breaking research on each campus.”

The first goals of the new satellite offices on other UC campuses would include marketing, submissions, financing and advertising, and later, layout and editing.

According to a slide presentation given during the meeting, the Berkeley staff is looking for creative, proactive new staff members. The Berkeley staff commits approximately 20-25 hours each semester to publication.

UCSB sophomore engineering major Aaron Patzik attended the meeting and is interested in helping to form a similar satellite office on campus.

“The first steps would be making connections with our friends, then talking to administrators,” Patzik said. “From there we’ll look into what kind of awareness we need to obtain in order to get a subscription from the school and then submissions from students.”

UCSB students who are interested in getting involved with CalEng can locate the Berkeley office online at .