Essentially a one-man band, Scott Weinkle uses simplistic rock formulas and basic sonic tricks to expand conventional rock in a fashion where the rock of the past can still hold relevance in the present. Dreamhome is an excellent example of the theory that basic predictable songs can be reinvented and essentially transformed into new and personal treatments of past styles. Although it’s not specified, one gets the impression that this was all done in one take: unaltered and confident. With wavy, transparent interludes, Dreamhome is a quaint pop album that culminates in a series of categorical but original songs of sentiment and repressed angst.

There are no complex transitions or any attempts to boost the songs with postproduction tricks. Echoed-out vocals and liberal use of a delay pedal is what turns these cute, high school-esque pop ballads into sophisticated and straightforward guitar-driven rock. With the open and airy garage of “English Garden,” Weinkle exposes his vulnerability to quaint remissions of desire; but the relentlessly hook-laden “Curtains” shows that he still likes to beat the guitar for all it’s worth. By the end, rock purists can say that they’ve found a home and simple solace in Velvet Sun.