After being diagnosed with celiac disease last summer, I thought my options when going out to eat would become very limited. Celiac disease is an allergy to gluten, a substance found in wheat (which means gluten is basically in everything). I thought I would never be able to eat foods that I once enjoyed like donuts, pizza and chicken nuggets. Luckily, many gluten-free options are available in restaurants today. Unfortunately, some places either charge extra for gluten free substitutes or do not offer them at all. Since this allergy developed late in my life, I initially thought I could just suck it up and endure the stomach pain that gluten caused me. But most of the time, I know that it’s not worth it and I try to create what I’m craving at home. I believe that food allergies should not stop anyone from enjoying foods that they love because there are always substitutions to be made and new things to try. Hope you enjoy these easy gluten-free recipes!
Gluten-Free Banana Fudge Bread
1 cup of ripe mashed bananas(2-3 bananas, depending on the size)
¼ cup of almond flour
¼ cup of coconut flour
4 oz of chocolate, melted
¼ cup of maple syrup or honey
1 tsp of vanilla extract
1 tsp of baking powder
1 tsp of baking soda
½ cup of your choice of nut butter
Optional toppings: chopped walnuts, bananas and/or chocolate shavings
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and prepare a loaf pan with parchment paper. (Optional: I like to spray my parchment paper with cooking spray!)
- Mix your bananas, eggs, maple syrup or honey and nut butter in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine your almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder and baking soda. Mix well.
- Combine the two mixtures and then slowly fold in the melted chocolate.
- Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan and add any additional toppings.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes and enjoy!
A Personal-Sized Gluten-Free “Pizookie”
3 tablespoons of almond butter
2 tablespoons of liquid oil
3 tablespoons of coconut sugar
¾ cup of almond flour
¼ tsp of baking soda
½ tsp of vanilla extract
1 tbsp of any milk
2 oz (or more!) of any type of chocolate, chopped
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees and spray your desired baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine your almond butter, egg, oil, vanilla extract and milk in a bowl and mix well.
- In the same bowl, add in the sugar, almond flour and baking soda and combine thoroughly.
- Gently fold in your chocolate and transfer the batter into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes and enjoy warm!
Gluten-Free Pizza Crust
1 cup of gluten-free all purpose flour
1 cup of plain nonfat Greek yogurt
1 tsp of garlic powder
1 tsp of oil
1 tsp of salt
1 tsp of baking powder
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, combine all of your ingredients until a dough forms.
- Roll out your dough on your baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes.
- After 12 minutes, take your dough out and add any additional toppings.
- Bake for another 10 minutes and enjoy!