Oliver Zuniga / Daily Nexus

Oliver Zuniga / Daily Nexus

For this admission cycle, 35.9 percent of students who applied to UCSB were admitted. With this continually increasing number of students, there has been a struggle to house all incoming freshman. Today, the university announced the opening of new dorms this fall to compensate for the increase of admitted students in the class of 2020. The triple occupancy dorms are to open on the lawn between Broida Hall and the Chemistry Building, and even though assembly has been rushed, the new housing promises an experience unlike any other for the incoming freshmen.  

This fall, the former chem lawn will be filled with 300 REI Kingdom tents to provide unique housing for a lucky 900 students. The new dorms will be known as Tienda Village and offer more than standard housing according to Housing & Residential Services representatives.

“We like to think of Tienda Village as more than just average living amenities, it is also a living community that teaches students basic survival and wilderness skills that are necessary in real-world situations,” said Bear Grylls, Discovery Channel star and new Housing & Residential Services public relations chair.

Sources say that there is the option of a reduced-price meal plan for students willing to conduct some “light hunter-gatherer type activities.”

The new dorms also support the university’s efforts to remain a sustainable and environmentally friendly campus that give students the daily opportunity to connect with nature. Sources say that there is the option of a reduced-price meal plan for students willing to conduct some “light hunter-gatherer type activities” and that housing will be subsidized for residents volunteering to take turns fending off skunks and raccoons throughout the night.

Incoming freshmen, however, do not seem to be as optimistic about their potential new living quarters. Evelyn Richards, an incoming environmental science major, expressed concerns about her living arrangements.

“Also, what about bathrooms? Like how is that even going to work?”

“I love camping and everything, but I’m a little concerned about sharing a tent with three other people next year,” Richards said. “Also, what about bathrooms? Like how is that even going to work?”

Next year’s RAs are not happy about this news either. Rising third-year feminist studies major and RA Madeline Gao said that she “signed up to be a mentor to freshman, not to have to live an episode of fucking ‘Survivor’ for an entire year.”

An inquiry to the chancellor’s office for comment on this story was met with a simple statement: “The university is thrilled about expanding its capacity to accommodate even more students in our learning community.”