Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

A.S. Groups Protest New Food Budget Bill

During the public forum portion of last night’s Associated Students Senate meeting, several members of various student government organizations stood in opposition to a bill passed last week that would place restrictions on their ability to purchase food with A.S. money.

The bill, intended to cut extraneous spending and ensure A.S. funds benefit the bulk of the student body rather than a select few, seeks to limit entities to a budget of no more than $500 for food each quarter. It also includes several exceptions, such as special events.

Specifically, the authors of the bill hope to discourage extravagant consumption of expensive food at board, committee and commission meetings, as they feel that money could be better spent fulfilling that group’s purpose.

Issues surrounding the measure’s passage included accusations of classism, worries that certain groups may not be able to carry out specific functions that revolve around food and arguments that food at meetings is a primary method of attracting new members.

Third-year sociology major Navkiran Kaur said she feels the bill alienates many low-income students who depend on meals provided by A.S. organizations.

Kaitlyn Christianson, co-chair of the Community Affairs Board, asserted that free food at meetings was a key factor in her choice to become involved in local affairs and warned that C.A.B. would not be able to carry out some of its key missions, such as providing food for the homeless, with such a restricted budget.

As of press time, senators had not yet discussed the issue. Visit dailynexus.com tomorrow for a full recap of the meeting.

A.S. Senators and students meet in Public Forum to discuss a recent bill.

Photo by John Clow / Daily Nexus

A version of this story appeared on page 5 of Thursday, January 30, 2014′s print edition of the Daily Nexus.

7 Responses to A.S. Groups Protest New Food Budget Bill

1. Sam Reply

January 30, 2014 at 10:19 pm

I don’t believe money should be used for food to attract members. Navkiran is wrong in saying that this bill alienates low income students. As a low-income student, I attend BCCs meeting for shared interests and to contribute to my community, not for meals. Anyone attending a meeting for the purpose of a meal is attending for the wrong reasons. There are other services provided for such a need.

2. Jack Reply

January 30, 2014 at 9:41 pm

Wait…don’t we fund a Food Bank to help serve students in need? That’s that particular groups mission right? I see them tabling outside the UCEN all the time. Why do people need to spend more money on food at their club meetings?

• Jack Reply

January 30, 2014 at 9:42 pm

Are they cutting the Food Banks budget?

• Jonathan Abboud Reply

January 30, 2014 at 9:44 pm

No the food bank has a dedicated lock-in fee that is annual.

• Jonathan Abboud Reply

January 30, 2014 at 9:43 pm

Excellent point, Jack. I am in full support of this regulation (actually in support of the total ban of food at regular meetings).

Jonathan, AS President

• Derek Wakefield Reply

January 31, 2014 at 9:43 am

With the wording of the bill, the worry was that it actually stipulated that BCCs could not spent more than $500 on food. However, myself and almost the entire Senate expressed how that was never our goal and that the bill was meant purely to limit food expenditures at meetings, which we felt was an inefficient usage of student funds. If students are coming to BCC meetings for food, then that’s a sign we need to expand AS Food Bank rather than spend budgets on dinner.

3. anon Reply

January 30, 2014 at 10:57 am

these senators have the right idea. why is my money going to feed people whose work i never see? this shouldnt even be a thing